cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Have you ever tried alcohol? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18961)

cougjunkie 04-29-2008 05:34 PM

Have you ever tried alcohol?

Poll options to follow.

Indy Coug 04-29-2008 05:36 PM

I tried a warm near beer once, but that's it.

Tex 04-29-2008 05:39 PM

Does NyQuil count?

TripletDaddy 04-29-2008 05:40 PM

I did back in the 20s, but then alcohol consumption ceased during Prohibition and went AWOL during WW2. People were sad and didnt feel like partying.

One day in the 60s, everyone was drinking alcohol again.

It's here to stay, now, baby!

*based on my research

Venkman 04-29-2008 06:32 PM

Being a Utah Mormon, I am at the same time self-righteous and hypocritical. So yes, I did partake a bit as a lad. Although I never blessed the sacrament with a hangover.

BYU71 04-29-2008 06:41 PM

The wording in the poll brings up an interesting question. Have you truly repented if you don't feel a great deal of remorse.

I don't drink alcohol. Haven't since my divorce and didn't from college until about 6 months before my divorce.

However, I don't know if I really feel all that remorseful. I really don't hold those who drink out to be sinners. Those who drink socially I regard in the same way as I do fat people.

Archaea 04-29-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 214974)
The wording in the poll brings up an interesting question. Have you truly repented if you don't feel a great deal of remorse.

I don't drink alcohol. Haven't since my divorce and didn't from college until about 6 months before my divorce.

However, I don't know if I really feel all that remorseful. I really don't hold those who drink out to be sinners. Those who drink socially I regard in the same way as I do fat people.

I hold social drinkers in higher esteem than fat people, some present company excepted.

Social drinkers are following a custom and may not be impacting their own health. Fat people are impacting their health. Not drinking is easy and even if I left the faith, not that I am planning on it, I have no desire to drink again. It was a youthful indiscretion that led to more troubles than it was worth. Let's just say, I was OCD about it, just like about anything else. I do know how many malt liquors a 135 athlete can down before he vomits them back up. Isn't that useful information? Not really, and beer the second time doesn't taste the same.

TheSizzle36 04-29-2008 06:48 PM

I've avoided drinking mostly because I fear I'd be an alcoholic. I like to drink about anything else, so I don't know why alcohol would be any different.

Mormon Red Death 04-29-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 214974)

What if you don't think drinking alcohol is a sin? I think becoming an alcoholic and neglecting stuff you should do is a sin but just drinking a beer isn't IMO.

nikuman 04-29-2008 07:06 PM

Ukranian genes + alcohol = a hell of a lot of baggage for my kids to deal with.