cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Guarantees (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13754)

8ballrollin 11-10-2007 11:42 PM

Guarantees

We are all aware of many examples where players have guaranteed wins, but I can't think of the last time a coach guaranteed a victory during a game week. Can anyone else think of an example?

il Padrino Ute 11-11-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 148516)
We are all aware of many examples where players have guaranteed wins, but I can't think of the last time a coach guaranteed a victory during a game week. Can anyone else think of an example?

I remember when Pat Riley guaranteed a back to back NBA championship after 1987. But his Laker team was able to back up his mouth, so I can't be too upset about it.

YOhio 11-11-2007 02:43 AM

That guy from Men's Warehouse always guarantees that I'll like the way I look.

cougjunkie 11-11-2007 02:52 AM

The problem with Joe Glenns guarantee is that people are acting like it came in front of a camera lens, he looked in to it like he was staring in whits eyes and made this bold statement. He guaranteed a win in front of a bunch of boosters that supplement his paycheck.

il Padrino Ute 11-11-2007 03:16 AM

What you say is true, junkie. What else is he supposed to say to a group like that.

Still, he can't expect it to not get back to KW.

This entire ordeal has been highly entertaining.

cougjunkie 11-11-2007 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 148584)
What you say is true, junkie. What else is he supposed to say to a group like that.

Still, he can't expect it to not get back to KW.

This entire ordeal has been highly entertaining.

Completely agree, I give Kyle credit for doing what coaches should do, and spinning the hell out of it. It makes for great bulletin board material and it obviously gave the Utes a little extra motivation.

TripletDaddy 11-11-2007 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 148572)
That guy from Men's Warehouse always guarantees that I'll like the way I look.

If that is your suit in your avatar, Men's Wearhouse owes you some payback...

DrumNFeather 11-11-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 148581)
The problem with Joe Glenns guarantee is that people are acting like it came in front of a camera lens, he looked in to it like he was staring in whits eyes and made this bold statement. He guaranteed a win in front of a bunch of boosters that supplement his paycheck.

So, it is similar to the origins of the 9/10 comment by Whit...made in front of a bunch of boosters etc...but look at what a big too do that became!

Somewhere in the how to coach book, a chapter needs to be written about just talking about football. It should be titled, "No Garantees, No Opinions, No Bending the Facts, Just Football."

il Padrino Ute 11-11-2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 148597)
So, it is similar to the origins of the 9/10 comment by Whit...made in front of a bunch of boosters etc...but look at what a big too do that became!

Somewhere in the how to coach book, a chapter needs to be written about just talking about football. It should be titled, "No Garantees, No Opinions, No Bending the Facts, Just Football."

Of course, the author of that book would never have been nor ever be a coach. If a coach doesn't appease the homers once in a while, he'll no longer be a coach.

DrumNFeather 11-11-2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 148648)
Of course, the author of that book would never have been nor ever be a coach. If a coach doesn't appease the homers once in a while, he'll no longer be a coach.

Lee Corso?