cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   So with BYU now at #17.... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23795)

TripletDaddy 10-19-2008 04:34 PM

So with BYU now at #17....

I guess there technically still is a shot, assuming we win out.

Curse you, Jay Santos!

And just for Santos, note that SC is now the top-rated 1-loss team in the country. The coaches know talent when they see it.

Cali Coug 10-19-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281390)
I guess there technically still is a shot, assuming we win out.

Curse you, Jay Santos!

And just for Santos, note that SC is now the top-rated 1-loss team in the country. The coaches know talent when they see it.

Phew- I really thought #20 was likely (or worse). The ACC is really helping BYU in their unlikely BCS run. Wake, UNC and VaTech all lost, making it very possible that no ACC team is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS standings at the end of the season. If that is the case, BYU could sneak in if they are ranked between 12-16 and no other non-BCS team is ahead of them. We need Ball State, BSU, Tulsa and TCU to lose. We can beat Utah, so they aren't a factor.

EDIT: I just looked at the rankings, and BYU is still above Tulsa and Ball State. We really only need Utah (or someone else) to beat TCU, and BSU to lose. And we need to win out. That isn't as improbable as I would have thought. That said, this team needs to refocus quickly or they will lose again.

HuskyFreeNorthwest 10-19-2008 05:23 PM

I don't see BSU losing. Then we can all sit and try to convince ourselves that college football fans think the MWC is better than the WAC, who cares about 3 straight BCS games?

SeattleUte 10-19-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 281392)
Phew- I really thought #20 was likely (or worse). The ACC is really helping BYU in their unlikely BCS run. Wake, UNC and VaTech all lost, making it very possible that no ACC team is ranked in the top 16 of the BCS standings at the end of the season. If that is the case, BYU could sneak in if they are ranked between 12-16 and no other non-BCS team is ahead of them. We need Ball State, BSU, Tulsa and TCU to lose. We can beat Utah, so they aren't a factor.

EDIT: I just looked at the rankings, and BYU is still above Tulsa and Ball State. We really only need Utah (or someone else) to beat TCU, and BSU to lose. And we need to win out. That isn't as improbable as I would have thought. That said, this team needs to refocus quickly or they will lose again.

Hope springs etermal.

Tulsa would annihilate BYU. So I guess life aint fair. Did you see what Tulsa did to New Mexico, their common opponent?

CJF 10-19-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 281408)
Hope springs etermal.

Tulsa would annihilate BYU. So I guess life aint fair. Did you see what Tulsa did to New Mexico, their common opponent?

Have you seen Tulsa play this year or are you just talking out of your ass?

cougjunkie 10-19-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJF (Post 281409)
Have you seen Tulsa play this year or are you just talking out of your ass?

I am going to say the later.

Also did anyone see Tulsa up 70-35 with under 5 minutes to play go for it on 4th and 6 inside Uteps 10 yard line.

UtahDan 10-19-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281413)
I am going to say the later.

Also did anyone see Tulsa up 70-35 with under 5 minutes to play go for it on 4th and 6 inside Uteps 10 yard line.

Hey, that no one has more class BYU is older than old news. Talk about something else already. The moral high ground was ceded to you by all other NCAA teams back in the 80s or something.

CJF 10-19-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest (Post 281403)
I don't see BSU losing. Then we can all sit and try to convince ourselves that college football fans think the MWC is better than the WAC, who cares about 3 straight BCS games?

Anyone want to bet that on Nov. 8th SU will be posting that Utah is better than BSU because BSU only beat the Aggies by 45 at home and not 48 on the road like his Utes did. Utah would obviously destroy BSU based this data.

ERCougar 10-19-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest (Post 281403)

I could easily see them losing at San Jose this week, or Fresno State at the end of the season.

By the way, I can't believe we stayed as high as we did.

ute4ever 10-19-2008 06:50 PM

There are a few provisions in the BCS rules that assist more than one mid-major in receiving a BCS invite:

-No more than 2 teams from any conference may participate
-All teams ranked in the top 14 are eligible for at-large selections, regardless of conference

This year, it is not unfathomable that the final BCS rankings will include 6 Big 12 teams and 4 SEC teams in the top 14, but only 4 of them may participate. Moreover, although only the highest ranked mid-major within the top 12 becomes an automatic qualifier, a mid-major in the top 14 remains an eligible qualifier.