cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mormonism's founding stories and your faith. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12962)

SeattleUte 10-18-2007 03:25 PM

Mormonism's founding stories and your faith.

Which best describes the relationship between Mormonism's founding stories (as related by Joseph Smith) and your faith in Mormonism? Please vote.

creekster 10-18-2007 03:28 PM

Typical SU. Ask a question, leave no option to answer.

Archaea 10-18-2007 03:31 PM

Too binary, not enough grey or room for nuance.

SeattleUte 10-18-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 138091)
Too binary, not enough grey or room for nuance.

It says best describes. Pick the one that best describes you. If you find that poll too binary you're a wussy without convicitions. There are six options, some hardly differering from another.

Rickomatic 10-18-2007 03:36 PM

Pretty easy to answer

Archaea 10-18-2007 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 138097)
It says best describes. Pick the one that best describes you. If you find that poll too binary you're a wussy without convicitions. There are six options, some hardly differering from another.

Best describes requires a two-dimensional world. I live in the world four dimensionally.

First, do I believe in the literalness of all events? Do I disbelieve them all? No. Have I taken the time to quantify, more or less? No.

Did I once believe in them literally and do I now take some of them metaphorically, or do I suspend judgment now or then? The aspect of temporality is not adjusted for.

It is a poor poll.

SeattleUte 10-18-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 138102)
Best describes requires a two-dimensional world. I live in the world four dimensionally.

First, do I believe in the literalness of all events? Do I disbelieve them all? No. Have I taken the time to quantify, more or less? No.

Did I once believe in them literally and do I now take some of them metaphorically, or do I suspend judgment now or then? The aspect of temporality is not adjusted for.

It is a poor poll.

Somebody besides Archea tell him binary means TWO parts (not six).

Archaea 10-18-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 138104)
Somebody besides Archea tell him binary means TWO parts (not six).

Each answer is an all or nothing type answer with none making sense unless one is really devoid of nuance.

All computer programming is set up on a binary system despite billions and billions of connected binary code. Your question like computer code.

RC Vikings 10-18-2007 03:43 PM

SU you remind me of someone who has done something they are not sure about and hope others will follow to reaffirm that they did the right thing.

Archaea 10-18-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 138108)
SU you remind me of someone who has done something they are not sure about and hope others will follow to reaffirm that they did the right thing.

There remains a spark of doubt that he left something good behind.