cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yesterday the Relief Society (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18489)

K-dog 04-14-2008 03:09 PM

Yesterday the Relief Society

discussed whether the Holy Ghost was a woman because of its empathy. Many stated that it was clear the Holy Ghost was a man. Others thought it equally clear that we don't know either way. What do the mighty of Cougarguard say on the subject?

Indy Coug 04-14-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 208329)
discussed whether the Holy Ghost was a woman because of its empathy. Many stated that it was clear the Holy Ghost was a man. Others thought it equally clear that we don't know either way. What do the mighty of Cougarguard say on the subject?

If I had $50, I'd put it on "male".

All-American 04-14-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Nephi said he had the form of a man. I've only ever seen the Holy Ghost referred to as a "he" or an "it." In Greek, by the way, "to pneuma agion" is neuter.

The idea that the Holy Ghost is a personage at all seems to be an LDS-specific thought, and a later one at that (see Lectures on Faith). Doctrine on the "Light of Christ" seems to fill the void left by the incorporation (inspiritization?) of the Holy Ghost.

Bottom line: I believe what it says in D&C 130:22-23, but it is pretty clear that we don't know a lot about what's going on. If it turns out that we've got some details wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.

K-dog 04-14-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 208333)
If I had $50, I'd put it on "male".

Thoughts on the belief that Gods are both male and female and neither male nore female exclusively?

K-dog 04-14-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 208335)
Nephi said he had the form of a man. I've only ever seen the Holy Ghost referred to as a "he" or an "it." In Greek, by the way, "to pneuma agion" is neuter.

The idea that the Holy Ghost is a personage at all seems to be an LDS-specific thought, and a later one at that (see Lectures on Faith). Doctrine on the "Light of Christ" seems to fill the void left by the incorporation (inspiritization?) of the Holy Ghost.

Bottom line: I believe what it says in D&C 130:22-23, but it is pretty clear that we don't know a lot about what's going on. If it turns out that we've got some details wrong, I won't lose any sleep over it.

So the Greek for Holy Ghost is neuter but Nephi said that it had the form of a man...interesting.

Indy Coug 04-14-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 208336)
Thoughts on the belief that Gods are both male and female and neither male nore female exclusively?

That's a different question than the maleness/femaleness of the Holy Ghost.

Archaea 04-14-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 208335)

Is that a first declension neuter noun? Because pneuma looks like a first declension feminine noun, but the adjective makes me think it is neuter. Of course, I am usually wrong on these things so correct me.

BYU71 04-14-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

That had to be a discussion that got off track from the lesson itself. I am sure it never said in the lesson quide, "now perk the interest of the Sisters by asking if the Holy Ghost is male or feemale."

He is male, with feminine tendencies. That is how he can speak in a small still voice.

K-dog 04-14-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 208339)
That's a different question than the maleness/femaleness of the Holy Ghost.

I'm aware of that...that's why it was a follow-up question.

All-American 04-14-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 208338)
So the Greek for Holy Ghost is neuter but Nephi said that it had the form of a man...interesting.

We have a different conception of "spirit" than the ancients do. The word for "spirit" in both Greek (pneuma) and Latin (spiritus) could also have been translated as "breath," "air," or "wind." There is a great word play in John 3, when the Savior says that the wind bloweth wherever it wants-- the word he uses is the same as "spirit" the previous verse: pneuma. Inspiration is either the process of having the spirit of God stroke your intelligence, or breathing in; expire means either to breathe out or to have the breath of life leave you (i.e., to die).

The ancients regarded the spirit, the breath of life, or whatever else by which it may have been referred as as a vivifying force not necessarily specific to one being or entity. Greeks would have referred to the Holy Spirit in the neuter because as far as they knew, it was not a man, but, well, a spirit.