cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The new filter at work blocks that other site (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18055)

Kilgore Trout 03-26-2008 09:24 PM

The new filter at work blocks that other site

I've poked around this place a bit, but never spent much time here. Looks like it could be fun. I guess I'll be hanging out here for my BYU sports, etc. fix during those boring moments of the working day. I'll also kick in the occasional wisecrack and maybe even a sports-related post now and then.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout (Post 202513)
I've poked around this place a bit, but never spent much time here. Looks like it could be fun. I guess I'll be hanging out here for my BYU sports, etc. fix during those boring moments of the working day. I'll also kick in the occasional wisecrack and maybe even a sports-related post now and then.

Welcome.

This site is to the other what (insert favorite food here) is to turnips.

Clark Addison 03-27-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

I'd count on a lot more "etc." than "BYU sports"

creekster 03-27-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Any fan of vonnegut is welcome here from my point of view.

BarbaraGordon 03-27-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 202594)

Tell us the truth. You only skimmed Slaughterhouse Five, didn't you? ;-)

Kilgore Trout 03-27-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 202596)
Tell us the truth. You only skimmed Slaughterhouse Five, didn't you? ;-)

No, I didn't skim it. It's been a while, though, so don't quiz me. I guess if I'm going to call myself Kilgore Trout, I'd better brush up.

myboynoah 03-27-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 202594)

More telling will be what he thinks of Austen.

BarbaraGordon 03-27-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout (Post 202607)
No, I didn't skim it. It's been a while, though, so don't quiz me. I guess if I'm going to call myself Kilgore Trout, I'd better brush up.

apologies. That was directed to Creekster.

As far as I know no one will try to quiz you on your reading material, though there's at least one rude character around here who will call you out if you misspell any authors' names.

Welcome, and may the orthographic forces be with you.

Archaea 03-27-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 202639)
apologies. That was directed to Creekster.

As far as I know no one will try to quiz you on your reading material, though there's at least one rude character around here who will call you out if you misspell any authors' names.

Welcome, and may the orthographic forces be with you.

That character might also call you out if you have other orthographic challenges. Don't confuse a compliment while complementing your sources.

pelagius 03-27-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 202616)
More telling will be what he thinks of Austen.

Did we ever establish if Creekster dislikes Austen in general or only to Pride and Prejudice in particular? I, for one, have never heard him say anything negative about Northanger Abbey (and I even baited him once to try to get him to take a shot at Catherine Morland). I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his ire is mostly confined to a dislike of a certain Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

BarbaraGordon 03-27-2008 05:00 PM

Sorry, Kilgore. You'll have to forgive us for taking over your thread. I'd say it won't happen again, but such is pretty much the norm around here. It's rather a point of pride, even.

YOhio 03-27-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 202673)
Sorry, Kilgore. You'll have to forgive us for taking over your thread. I'd say it won't happen again, but such is pretty much the norm around here. It's rather a point of pride, even.

Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.

BarbaraGordon 03-27-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 202676)
Vanity and pride are different things.

Pride and vanity? I thought we were talking about Pride and Prejudice. I'm so confused.

BYU71 03-27-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 202673)

The fastest way to make someone feel welcome and part of the group is to take over their thread.

I am surprised Waters hasn't shown up yet bashing the rich.

Kilgore Trout 03-27-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 202678)
The fastest way to make someone feel welcome and part of the group is to take over their thread.

I am surprised Waters hasn't shown up yet bashing the rich.

It beats being ignored.

I guess.

BarbaraGordon 03-27-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout (Post 202680)
It beats being ignored.

I guess.

See? That's the spirit!

Are you a writer like your namesake? I'm trying to figure out what kind of workplace would block CB.

I strongly recommend the pursuit of female-dominated professions. The employers inevitably block sites like cosmo.com and oprah.com, but it never occurs to them to block espn or cnnsi. It's great!

myboynoah 03-27-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 202677)
Pride and vanity? I thought we were talking about Pride and Prejudice. I'm so confused.

Be careful, the big cat is prowling just out of sight. I can hear him.

bluegoose 03-28-2008 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 202681)
I'm trying to figure out what kind of workplace would block CB.

I strongly recommend the pursuit of female-dominated professions. The employers inevitably block sites like cosmo.com and oprah.com, but it never occurs to them to block espn or cnnsi. It's great!

A filter that blocks CB but allows CG. Imagine that.

Archaea 03-28-2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

See? That's the spirit!

Are you a writer like your namesake? I'm trying to figure out what kind of workplace would block CB.

Does the filter block mudwrestling? That's a female dominated event, so it is female oriented.

bigpiney 03-28-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of workplace would block CB.

I work for the state (California) and they used to block CB, it fell under the sports filter. Then we got a new director and lo and behold sports was unblocked the next week. That was a great day in internet history.

I hate you Websense.

il Padrino Ute 03-28-2008 08:49 PM

Big Piney, if your new avatar is a photoshopped picture of John Stockton, you and I will have to meet at some determined place to fight it out.

bigpiney 03-28-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203069)
Big Piney, if your new avatar is a photoshopped picture of John Stockton, you and I will have to meet at some determined place to fight it out.

Looks like I am safe. Stockton wore 12. It was Chris Mullen that wore 13

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-conte.../dreamteam.jpg

il Padrino Ute 03-28-2008 08:55 PM

I'm glad to see that. All is forgiven.

It sure looks like Stock though.

CJF 04-01-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203072)

I would have joined in and helped you, il Pad.

On a side note, how absolutely out of place does Christian Laettner look in that picture?

il Padrino Ute 04-01-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJF (Post 204025)
I would have joined in and helped you, il Pad.

On a side note, how absolutely out of place does Christian Laettner look in that picture?

Laettner never should have been on that team.

smokymountainrain 04-02-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 203072)

You know what they say...

All white people look the same. But it's okay that I said that because I have some really good friends who are white.