cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Are you fatter than average? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20413)

Archaea 06-24-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk (Post 234288)
I am 6'5" and currently weigh 258. I have a 38 inch waist and in no way do I consider myself in shape. I have another 48 pounds to lose to hit my target and I would suspect I will be a 33-34.

I am in awe at our obesity. With an average height of 5'10" and a average waist of 39. that is one fat society.

You're doing a great job so feel commended for the work you've already done.

Archaea 06-24-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 234276)
That's true I was just being mean spirited with the "shrimp" comment.

Don't sweat it. I by no means am imposing as a figure but take it in stride. Unfortunately I am reminded that my memory is only the second smallest part of me.

UtahDan 06-24-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 234258)
When I had 7% body fat I had a 34 inch waist. 35 is not that fat unless you are a shrimp. At 6'2" 200lbs with 7% body fat I was wearing 34 jeans.

We are probably similar in frame size. I think I would have to be disease stricken to get below 200 lbs. I am currently working on getting back into the 225 range which for me is about a 38 in waist and very healthy/solid.

marsupial 06-24-2008 11:17 PM

We don't need to discuss my waistline right now, but I will say that my fundal height is right on target :)

Archaea 06-25-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 234334)
We are probably similar in frame size. I think I would have to be disease stricken to get below 200 lbs. I am currently working on getting back into the 225 range which for me is about a 38 in waist and very healthy/solid.

Seeing that I'm not a lumberjack but a wolf, it's hard for me to identify with such dimensions. I was trying to say fox, but they're too scrawny in my mind.

Jeff Lebowski 06-25-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 234334)

Meh. You don't scare us.

MikeWaters 06-25-2008 01:01 AM

working on getting back to 225? From where? Jupiter?

RC Vikings 06-25-2008 05:44 AM

Soda and lack of activity is killing people.

bluegoose 06-25-2008 03:27 PM

For those that have been or are hefty, how did it come about? Have you always been on the large side or did it happen later in life? MTC? Mission? College? Sympathy weight during pregnancies?

I've never really struggled with weight, as I am currently the same weight that I was in High School. So I am always curious to hear how the weight crept on.

One of my good friends who I ride bikes with was 6 feet, 150 pounds when he was married at 25. He was racing bikes competitively for several years after his mission. 20 years later, he topped out at 300 pounds before getting back in shape. He is now down to 225 and steadily dropping. For him, it was parenthood, his first few jobs out of school and no buddies to ride with for motivation.

Archaea 06-25-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 234577)
For those that have been or are hefty, how did it come about? Have you always been on the large side or did it happen later in life? MTC? Mission? College? Sympathy weight during pregnancies?

I've never really struggled with weight, as I am currently the same weight that I was in High School. So I am always curious to hear how the weight crept on.

One of my good friends who I ride bikes with was 6 feet, 150 pounds when he was married at 25. He was racing bikes competitively for several years after his mission. 20 years later, he topped out at 300 pounds before getting back in shape. He is now down to 225 and steadily dropping. For him, it was parenthood, his first few jobs out of school and no buddies to ride with for motivation.

That's a great question and it would be interesting to hear the answers. For those of us with some good genes, it smacks of indifference to make derisive comments. I have an employee who eats like a horse, but due to genetic make up doesn't gain weight.