cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Saw 'Juno' last night... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15609)

UteStar 01-06-2008 03:07 PM

Saw 'Juno' last night...

First off, it was sold out at another theater but we finally got in to another showing and it was packed. Let me just say, it is a terrific show. It deals with teenage pregnancy and the lead actress is fabulous. Witty and believable and likable. Michael Cera is the father and he plays his part well.

Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman both do fine jobs as the parents that are looking to adopt Juno's baby. Juno's dad is also very entertaining. This movie, I believe, does a rather accurate portrayal of teenage pregnancy even though the girl is much tougher and funnier than most would be in that situation. Anyway, thumbs up if you are looking for a nice movie to go to this week.

YOhio 02-29-2008 05:23 AM

I finally got around to seeing this. Juno was a little too smartass for the first half of the movie, but I eventually warmed up to her. One of my favorite characters was the step-mom. She was endearing in a wt way. It was a very clever and unique way of handling some pretty tough subject matter.

It's kind of interesting the way a lot of the newer movies are pro-marriage in their own sort of way. Juno and Knocked Up both acted as criticisms of immature husbands. 40-yr Old Virgin had a pro-chastity (or at least monogamy) message hidden amongst the filthy dialogue. Anyways, it was a good movie.

myboynoah 02-29-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 191625)
I finally got around to seeing this. Juno was a little too smartass for the first half of the movie, but I eventually warmed up to her. One of my favorite characters was the step-mom. She was endearing in a wt way. It was a very clever and unique way of handling some pretty tough subject matter.

It's kind of interesting the way a lot of the newer movies are pro-marriage in their own sort of way. Juno and Knocked Up both acted as criticisms of immature husbands. 40-yr Old Virgin had a pro-chastity (or at least monogamy) message hidden amongst the filthy dialogue. Anyways, it was a good movie.

Just rent Seven Brides for Seven Brothers next time and skip the filthy dialogue.

Juno . . . . you two are made for each other.

TripletDaddy 02-29-2008 02:43 PM

Maybe I need to re-watch this movie. I think I saw in in November and am already forgetting it.

As I recall, I didn't quite get what the message was. I do remember enjoying the soundtrack.

I also learned that Juno is the goddess of motherhood, childbirth, and a few other things. The month of June is named after her and is the most popular month for getting married.

il Padrino Ute 02-29-2008 07:24 PM

Does anything get blowed up real good?

If not, it ain't worth seeing.

Brian 02-29-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 191635)
Just rent Seven Brides for Seven Brothers .....

How'd you answer the gay poll?

bluegoose 05-05-2008 07:51 PM

I finally watched this one last night. I thought it was a great movie. The writing was very clever and the actors were very believable. I'm a sucker for one-liners, and this one was filled with them.

Jason Bateman actually didn't screw the movie up, so way to go Jason. I actually thought Jennifer Garner was easily the weak link in the movie. She was trying way too hard to actually be believable.

Juno's parents were some of my favorite characters. Her mom ripping into the Ultrasound tech was classic.

The opening scene could make some people a bit uncomfortable, but aside from that and some mild language, I would highly recommend it.

ute4ever 05-05-2008 08:15 PM

I'm with DDD on this one, it bored me and I kept skipping ahead to the next chapter.

jay santos 05-05-2008 08:22 PM

A good film. The focus was a little too narrow for an Oscar candidate worthy movie. It was very hard to relate to the main character, a quirky teenager with very narrow world view.

Spoilers...

I didn't like how they didn't tie up the conflict with the couple splitting and Juno's desire to put baby in a loving marriage home. They completely left that unanswered.

I thought the parents were VERY cool. That's how i want to be as a parent.

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 08:24 PM

I thought they tied it up with that handwritten note that was frame. "I'm still in, if you are."