cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   30th anniversary of priesthood announcement celebrated on Temple Square (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20056)

Indy Coug 06-09-2008 12:16 PM

30th anniversary of priesthood announcement celebrated on Temple Square

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700233139,00.html

I wish I could have attended this.

ChinoCoug 06-09-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Fred A. Parker, president of the Atlanta Stake, said during his "short tenure in the gospel, I've been asked time and again" by media, church members, investigators, friends and family members about the reason for the priesthood ban for black males for nearly a century and a half before 1978.

He said he is "very clear in answer to this unsettled question" that he is "grounded in my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ" and that "Heavenly Father knows best. I may not have a satisfying explanation," he said, quoting a Book of Mormon prophet who said God created all things, and that "he has all wisdom and all power, both in heaven and in earth."
that answer beats anything I've heard on CG.

MikeWaters 06-09-2008 01:26 PM

I have a satisfyin explanation.

Uncle Tom dodging is not particularly satisfying.

Tex 06-09-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 229679)

How is this different from what some of us have been saying, Chino?

Quote:

Even so, she said, there are those who still reject the revelation allowing priesthood for all worthy males. For those "who prefer to hold on to the teachings of the past," she quoted Elder Bruce R. McConkie, who told students at BYU following the 1978 announcement, "it's time for disbelieving people to get in line and believe in a living prophet."
This is the speech I was referring to in another thread. I have a copy of it around here somewhere ...

Quote:

A small group of protesters gathered outside the grounds of Temple Square Sunday evening to advocate for the issuance of a formal apology and open recognition from the church for having prohibited black men from entering the priesthood.
Ok, fess up. Which of you were there protesting?

Jeff Lebowski 06-09-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 229679)

For those of you still clinging to the "God had some mysterious unknown purpose" ideology, how do reconcile the fact that Elder Childs and other church leaders have explicitly stated that it was not doctrine? Do you consider it some sort of divinely inspired policy?

ChinoCoug 06-09-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 229683)
For those of you still clinging to the "God had some mysterious unknown purpose" ideology, how do reconcile the fact that Elder Childs and other church leaders have explicitly stated that it was not doctrine? Do you consider it some sort of divinely inspired policy?

no, I just don't know why God allowed the policy.

MikeWaters 06-09-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 229684)
no, I just don't know why God allowed the policy.

are you still trying to figure out why God allowed the Holocaust?

ChinoCoug 06-09-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 229685)

I'm not trying to figure out anything.

Tex 06-09-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 229683)

Many people--even great church leaders--who were convinced of the false doctrine that was taught about blacks came to terms with their mistakes and changed their ways. It's a wonder some of you can't come to terms with the fact that God at the very least permitted the ban to endure, even in the face of his prophets petitioning him for change.

I don't know if he had a purpose in it or not. I don't presume to speak on matters on which God has remained silent. But I'm not going to hedge my way around what happened just because the truth makes me uncomfortable either.

Indy Coug 06-09-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 229685)

Maybe I missed something. Did one or more LDS prophets have anything to do with the Holocaust?