cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Zakaria on Palin (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23152)

Jeff Lebowski 10-02-2008 04:10 AM

Zakaria on Palin

Fareed Zakaria is one of my favorite columnists. His specialty is global affairs and his analysis in recent years regarding Iraq, dealing with terrorism, and the conditions necessary for the spread of democracy have been excellent, IMO.

Zakaria doesn't normally focus so much on domestic politics and is generally regarded as a moderate. But he wrote a scathing article on Palin this week:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/161204

Some excerpts:

Quote:

Palin has been given a set of talking points by campaign advisers, simple ideological mantras that she repeats and repeats as long as she can. ("We mustn't blink.") But if forced off those rehearsed lines, what she has to say is often, quite frankly, gibberish.

Can we now admit the obvious? Sarah Palin is utterly unqualified to be vice president. She is a feisty, charismatic politician who has done some good things in Alaska. But she has never spent a day thinking about any important national or international issue, and this is a hell of a time to start.
Ouch. This is getting ugly.

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 04:14 AM

As to his first point, how many politicians are not given a set of talking points that they repeat ad nauseum? Why is it different for Palin?

I just think it's hilarious that all these folks are incapable of hiding their liberal bias. They hate that Palin stole the spotlight - even for just a little bit - from their political savior.

If the world ends and McCain is elected, I am going to just sit back and be entertained by the meltdown. It will be better than when the Repubs took control of Congress in '94.

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 273349)
lol! You still don't get it. All along, you have thought the liberals were afraid of Palin, ignoring the distinct possibility that she could just be unqualified and the liberals may just be pointing that out to their electoral advantage. As it turns out, she is unqualified, something us liberals realized fairly quickly and pointed out immediately. We don't hate that she stole the spotlight. We have been trying to put her in the spotlight ever since the pick was announced! I hope she stays in it for the next 34 days!

No, I get it. You want her in the spotlight so her alleged deficiencies will hide Obama's. Obama is just as unqualified, but you ignore that.

Keep telling yourself that I don't get it, if it helps you sleep at night.

YOhio 10-02-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 273354)
No, I get it. You want her in the spotlight so her alleged deficiencies will hide Obama's. Obama is just as unqualified, but you ignore that.

Keep telling yourself that I don't get it, if it helps you sleep at night.

alleged deficiencies. lol!

il Padrino Ute 10-02-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 273361)
alleged deficiencies. lol!

I refuse to concede anything to cali out of principle.

BlueK 10-02-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 273345)
As to his first point, how many politicians are not given a set of talking points that they repeat ad nauseum? Why is it different for Palin?

I just think it's hilarious that all these folks are incapable of hiding their liberal bias. They hate that Palin stole the spotlight - even for just a little bit - from their political savior.

If the world ends and McCain is elected, I am going to just sit back and be entertained by the meltdown. It will be better than when the Repubs took control of Congress in '94.

I guess I must be a liberal too because I don't see her as any more qualified to be that close to the presidency than Harriet Miers was to being on the supreme court. This pick is going to sink McCain.

Mormon Red Death 10-02-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 273409)
I guess I must be a liberal too because I don't see her as any more qualified to be that close to the presidency than Harriet Miers was to being on the supreme court. This pick is going to sink McCain.

who cares?? she's hot and I'm voting for her...

YOhio 10-02-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 273420)
who cares?? she's hot and I'm voting for her...

If hott! were the only qualification then Solon would be POTUS.

Mormon Red Death 10-02-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 273422)
If hott! were the only qualification then Solon would be POTUS.

Solon's too busy primping his hair to run for office... wait that's john edwards ....

MikeWaters 10-02-2008 02:34 PM

Is Zakaria one of the guys who goes go Georgetown cocktail parties?