cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Those that are BYU alums (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12219)

The Borg 09-28-2007 04:32 PM

Those that are BYU alums

...having gone to BYU for your undergrad, grad school etc...knowing what you know about BYU now...if you could do it all over again, would you go back to BYU for your college experience, or would you go somewhere else?

If somewhere else...where?

BYU71 09-28-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 128975)
...having gone to BYU for your undergrad, grad school etc...knowing what you know about BYU now...if you could do it all over again, would you go back to BYU for your college experience, or would you go somewhere else?

If I was married and my Dad said it was the only school he would pay for, I would go back.

Otherwise I would go elsewhere.

Clark Addison 09-28-2007 05:08 PM

I went to BYU for Undergrad and Grad school. I would definitely do it again for undergrad, loved it.

I would probably pick somewhere else for Grad school (MBA, for what it's worth). I went to BYU for Grad school because:

1. They gave me a scholarship (OK reason)
2. I could continue to go to BYU football games (Fair reason)
3. I was too lazy to move across the country (Maybe not so great reason)

Indy Coug 09-28-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg (Post 128975)

I loved the social life at BYU. The educational experience was hit-and-miss at best.

ute4ever 09-28-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 128996)
I loved the social life at BYU.

Pull your head out.

Tex 09-28-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 128996)
I loved the social life at BYU. The educational experience was hit-and-miss at best.

I agree, although my educational experience was a notch above that.

jay santos 09-28-2007 06:58 PM

I'm a BYU grad. I feel like my undergraduate education at BYU was great. I was Econ undergrad and I believe BYU's Econ department is top notch. It helped me to think and analyze critically. A lot of your education is what you make of it--as far as electives you choose to take and what teachers to take and how seriously you take it. If I had to do it over, I would have liked to get more exposure to humanities. What I did have at BYU was good, but I minimized that area while at BYU due to interest level at the time and the desire to get more quantitative training.

I was married pretty soon after mission so college wasn't as much of a social experience as others, though wife did go to BYU also.

Mormon Red Death 09-28-2007 07:13 PM

Solon - please reply if you could do it over again would you have gone to byu instead of Utah (Solon was enrolled at byu only to realize the error of his ways a day before classes started.)

SoCalCoug 09-28-2007 07:17 PM

I went to BYU for 8 years - 1 wasted freshman year, 4 post-mission undergrad years, and 3 years of law school.

I would do it over again without question. I really enjoyed my time there and made some great friends - I think that's what really did it for me. I also got to experience the glory years of BYU football - the Ty Detmer years (although it didn't start out so great, with Steve Lindsley).

I think my experience there is part of why I'm so fanatical about BYU football - my head is full of good memories.

creekster 09-28-2007 07:42 PM

I went to BYU for a single year a long time ago (1978-79). I was recently told that now at BYU ALL classes start with a prayer and that all classrtooms have pictures of the prophet or the savior or some religious figure in them. Are these both true?