cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is it possible to have a garden that is too plentiful (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21244)

Mormon Red Death 07-28-2008 01:05 AM

Is it possible to have a garden that is too plentiful

It seems my garden might be overgrown. My tomato plants have out grown their metal cages. I counted and I have close to 30 squash in various stages of ripening and 15 zuchinin. the only thing that doesn't seem to be growins is my strawberries.

Should I cut back my squash and zuchinin and possibly my tomatoes?

MikeWaters 07-28-2008 01:08 AM

see if you can give some of the produce to a local foodbank. or friends or neighbors.

Cook some zuchinni bread.

Mormon Red Death 07-28-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 247496)
see if you can give some of the produce to a local foodbank. or friends or neighbors.

Cook some zuchinni bread.

most of my tomatoes arent ripe yet but when they do its going be a lot of tomatoes.

TripletDaddy 07-28-2008 01:48 AM

It is possible, but I think most women have veered away from that style these days. That was more of a 70s thing, I think.

ute4ever 07-28-2008 01:58 AM

What kind of squash? When I'm in Ann Arbor I'll be glad to take some off of your hands. This is my generous way of helping out with the problem you see.

MikeWaters 07-28-2008 02:45 AM

you can can as well.

ERCougar 07-28-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 247495)
It seems my garden might be overgrown. My tomato plants have out grown their metal cages. I counted and I have close to 30 squash in various stages of ripening and 15 zuchinin. the only thing that doesn't seem to be growins is my strawberries.

Should I cut back my squash and zuchinin and possibly my tomatoes?

I'm with you--our squash is totally out of control. I told my wife this as we planted. We pull 5-6 fully ripe squash/zucchini off the vine every day.

SteelBlue 07-28-2008 05:09 PM

Consider yourself lucky. I was enjoying stir fried squash just about every evening until I got some kind of black rot on my yellow squash. Now every squash dies just before it's big enough to harvest. I'm only getting zuchinni now.

YOhio 07-28-2008 05:27 PM

How do you guys prep your squash and zuccini? I usually cut it in lengthwise strips, soak it in olive oil, garlic, salt and whatever herbs I have laying around, then toss it on the grill for a few minutes on each side. It's also good with marinated in or brushed with balsamic vinegar.

il Padrino Ute 07-28-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 247719)
How do you guys prep your squash and zuccini? I usually cut it in lengthwise strips, soak it in olive oil, garlic, salt and whatever herbs I have laying around, then toss it on the grill for a few minutes on each side. It's also good with marinated in or brushed with balsamic vinegar.

That sounds very good. I'm going to have to give it a try.

It really depends on the squash. If it's butternut (winter squash) I cut it in half lengthwise, slap on an unhealthy amount of butter, salt and pepper then cook it in the microwave for 6-8 minutes.

We use the summer squash and zucchini in a stir fry with a few other veggies and pieces of steak or chicken.