cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   On replacement cleats (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20196)

creekster 06-13-2008 05:57 PM

On replacement cleats

My old speedplay cleats were over 2 years old. They had needed to be replaced for about 6-7 months, but I was loathe to spend the 40 bucks the new cleats cost. After one of the springs broke, I had no choice, Picked up my new pair yesterday. Changed the right cleat no problem and then found that I had worn down the left cleat so far that the heads of the attaching screws were almost smooth and no longer had any surface for a screwdriver to grip. I had to use a cutting wheel on my dremel to get the sill things off. Finally putting the new cleat on I rode to work this morning. Ahhhh, new cleats, very nice. I deduced that the reason the left cleat was so much more worn is because when I stop at a light or a stop sign I always pop my left foot out of the cleat to put down for balance while leaving my right foot in the pedal. Over a couple of years, that difference adds up to a lot more wear and tear.

Speedplays are fabulous. They feel great. The cleats do wear out, however, and are overpriced, but even so I like them enough to be worth it.

Archaea 06-13-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 231804)
My old speedplay cleats were over 2 years old. They had needed to be replaced for about 6-7 months, but I was loathe to spend the 40 bucks the new cleats cost. After one of the springs broke, I had no choice, Picked up my new pair yesterday. Changed the right cleat no problem and then found that I had worn down the left cleat so far that the heads of the attaching screws were almost smooth and no longer had any surface for a screwdriver to grip. I had to use a cutting wheel on my dremel to get the sill things off. Finally putting the new cleat on I rode to work this morning. Ahhhh, new cleats, very nice. I deduced that the reason the left cleat was so much more worn is because when I stop at a light or a stop sign I always pop my left foot out of the cleat to put down for balance while leaving my right foot in the pedal. Over a couple of years, that difference adds up to a lot more wear and tear.

Speedplays are fabulous. They feel great. The cleats do wear out, however, and are overpriced, but even so I like them enough to be worth it.

I replace them so infrequently I occasionally get them on backwards. I tend to have the cleats lose screws now and then. This is beginning only my fifth year cycling. Wow, a lot of miles after four years, 30,000 miles. Am I still a newby by your standards oh mighty Creekster?

MikeWaters 06-13-2008 06:22 PM

I've been cycling longer than Arch? Had non idea. Me is probably August 2002.

Archaea 06-13-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 231814)
I've been cycling longer than Arch? Had non idea. Me is probably August 2002.

Started May 2004. However, I have a bit of obsessive compulsive tendencies when I start things.

So you're more experienced. Thus you can pull my ass up the Lotoja hill.

MikeWaters 06-13-2008 06:38 PM

I think you are probably 10x stronger than me, esp. since I have been on the bike twice this season.

Coach McGuirk 06-13-2008 07:56 PM

I will have to look at the speedplays. I went with Look KeO carbons and I have already been through 2 pairs of the synthetic cleats they use. They get chewed up really fast.

MikeWaters 06-13-2008 08:02 PM

I liked my generic Looks. Speedplays now are ok.