cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Brief Intro (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6994)

Solon 03-10-2007 02:43 AM

Brief Intro

Sleeping in EQ told me about the intro. page, and I feel like I hijacked enough threads today yapping about myself.

So, I'm a grad. student at Penn State, studying Ancient History and Classics. With any luck, I'll start my dissertation in May, 2007. My research focus is ancient Greece, specifically athletics, but I've also flirted a bit with the Ancient Near East, Rome, and modern sport history.

I'm technically active LDS, but struggle with many issues of faith - it's no secret. I like to consider myself P-LDS, P for 'provisional.'

I've read the board anonymously for several months and am really impressed by the brains lurking around here. I'll post when I have something to say, but deep down I'm greedy to read your thoughts.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

il Padrino Ute 03-10-2007 03:32 AM

Welcome.

I'm the token Ute moron. Unlike everyone else here, I didn't go to school to get an education. I just went to play baseball.

BarbaraGordon 03-10-2007 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 65043)
I've read the board anonymously for several months...

Oh, dear. Anybody know if I said anything stupid in that timespan? :)

BTW, I visited a friend at Penn State once. It seemed like a nice campus.

YOhio 03-10-2007 03:45 AM

Welcome to the board. Your research focus on ancient Greeks and athletics sounds very interesting. I will note that many of us BYU fans don't really like to think that athletics existed prior to 1972.

il Padrino Ute 03-10-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 65051)
I will note that many of us BYU fans don't really like to think that athletics existed prior to 1972.

Wow. You're the first I've ever encountered who would admit this. My respect for you just went up .05%.

;)

Archaea 03-10-2007 04:05 AM

Actually, I egotistically like to think this board was created by Mike for my personal entertainment.

Some of us actually like sport apart from BYU, even though BYU athletics, when they excell also interest us.

Join us in the cycling section as some of us are accomplished cyclists, a la RC Viking, creekster, Barbara Gordon, bluegoose and Steel Blue, and others like Paddy and myself are aspiring wannabees. We even run some. Big Piney also rides. It is very addicting.

SteelBlue 03-10-2007 05:47 AM

Welcome. I've enjoyed your posts and look forward to your future contributions.

creekster 03-10-2007 06:15 AM

Welcome.

Jeff Lebowski 03-10-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 65043)
My research focus is ancient Greece, specifically athletics, but I've also flirted a bit with the Ancient Near East, Rome, and modern sport history.

See. You do like sports after all.

Mormon Red Death 03-10-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 65064)
See. You do like sports after all.

Solon once won a couple hundred bucks betting on the Utes in Wendover.

He is also an accomplished HS football coach (State Championship under his belt)

Although When I looked up solon on Wikipedia I saw this quote:

"Solon composed poetry praising the love of boys"

Does that fit Mr. Solon?