cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What are your top 5 sports movies? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23808)

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 12:17 AM

What are your top 5 sports movies?

My list:

1. Hoosiers
2. Rocky I the original
3. Raging Bull
4. Victory
5. Brians Song

Let me say that I also do enjoy all of the Disney renditions as well. Remember the Titans, Coach Carter, Glory Road, Invincible, The Rookie and Miracle.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 12:39 AM

I can't pick a top 5, and I agree with all of yours, but a few others in no particular order that may also make my list...also, not sure how you are interpreting "sports movies"....but I am listing movies whose central theme revolve around a specific sport....not just a traditional movie that follows a team, a la Remember the Titans....

Breaking Away
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (campy, but classic....even NBA players dig it)
The Natural
Slap Shot
Caddyshack
The Hustler
North Shore
Searching for Bobby Fischer

One that does NOT make my list is Chariots of Fire. With the exception of the courtyard race scene, too boring. Sorry, Vangelis!

Also, never saw $1,000,000 Baby, but heard it was very good.

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281546)
I can't pick a top 5, and I agree with all of yours, but a few others in no particular order that may also make my list...also, not sure how you are interpreting "sports movies"....but I am listing movies whose central theme revolve around a specific sport....not just a traditional movie that follows a team, a la Remember the Titans....

Breaking Away
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (campy, but classic....even NBA players dig it)
The Natural
Slap Shot
Caddyshack
The Hustler
North Shore
Searching for Bobby Fischer

One that does NOT make my list is Chariots of Fire. With the exception of the courtyard race scene, too boring. Sorry, Vangelis!

Also, never saw $1,000,000 Baby, but heard it was very good.

Million dollar baby and Cinderella man were both decent.

Another one that I guess would be considered a sports movie now is Rounders. I love that movie.

RockyBalboa 10-20-2008 01:29 AM

Rocky movies
The Natural
Hoosiers
Remember The Titans
Cinderella Man
Seabiscuit
Victory

Lots of other ones.

Jeff Lebowski 10-20-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281550)
Million dollar baby and Cinderella man were both decent.

Another one that I guess would be considered a sports movie now is Rounders. I love that movie.

I loved Rounders too. Great flick.

Brian 10-20-2008 01:53 AM

Rocky 1
Million dollar baby
Cinderella Man
Breaking away
Rudy

YOhio 10-20-2008 01:55 AM

Gus was sweet. Imagine if you could really use a mule as your field goal kicker.

Vision Quest combined wrestling with drifter sex. Not a bad combo.

I enjoyed my cameo for the locker room scene in Any Given Sunday.

Any time you put Scott Bakula and Sinbad in a film you know you have a hit, which is what you got with Necessary Roughness.

If just for the killer soundtrack Ice Castles has to round out the top five.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 02:02 AM

Imagine sitting in on this pitch:

"We want to make a sports movie. Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Dick Van Patten, mules, football....and Tom Bosley falls into a glass case of live lobsters. What do you think?"

Answer: OYAGE!

RC Vikings 10-20-2008 02:56 AM

1. Hoosiers - Great movie
2. Downhill Racer - Early Redford
3. Caddyshack - no other movie is quoted as much
4. Breaking Away - Being all consumed with cycling was something I could relate to.
5. Slap Shot - I think they are still playing this as a first run movie in Canada.

I thought about the first Rocky but the fight scenes were just to unrealistic. I wish he had stopped at one.

BarbaraGordon 10-20-2008 03:16 AM

Does Jerry Maguire count?