cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Durango, CO (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9598)

FMCoug 07-03-2007 06:45 PM

Durango, CO

So we decided to forgo our trip to the Pacific NW this summer so we're researching destinations for a shorter (1 week and within 1000 miles of Dallas) trip. Somebody recommended Durango. Anybody been there? Looks like a lot of fun stuff to do. Narrow guage railroad, whitewater rafting, etc.

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 06:55 PM

Eastern Oklahoma is not bad, although it will be hot there I think now that it July.

You can even fish for trout there.

FMCoug 07-03-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 96877)
Eastern Oklahoma is not bad, although it will be hot there I think now that it July.

You can even fish for trout there.

We're considering going that direction as well. We'd probably go a little further into the actual Ozarks though. Buffalo River, etc.

MikeWaters 07-03-2007 07:09 PM

how about Big Bend up in Chisos basin. High elevation in the desert, maybe it's cool enough to survive.

Sleeping in EQ 07-04-2007 02:41 AM

Ruidoso, New Mexico is gorgeous. I've hiked all over that place. Smokey the Bear was rescued from there.

il Padrino Ute 07-04-2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 97340)
Ruidoso, New Mexico is gorgeous. I've hiked all over that place. Smokey the Bear was rescued from there.

The real Smokey the Bear? I remember seeing the real one in the National Zoo in DC when I was a kid.

He never told me not to play with matches.

YOhio 07-04-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 97352)

He never told me not to play with matches.

He told me that only I, and I alone, could prevent forest fires. I've been shirking.

FMCoug 07-04-2007 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 97340)

That's not a bad option either. One thing we discussed was just heading over to Calsbad to see the Caverns and then heading north from there and exploring northern New Mexico ... maybe make it up to CO, maybe not. Lots to see in NM. Ruidoso, Santa Fe/Los Alamos, Roswell, Taos, etc.

Nothing says we have to have a set itinerary.

ewth8tr 07-07-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 96871)
So we decided to forgo our trip to the Pacific NW this summer so we're researching destinations for a shorter (1 week and within 1000 miles of Dallas) trip. Somebody recommended Durango. Anybody been there? Looks like a lot of fun stuff to do. Narrow guage railroad, whitewater rafting, etc.

not sure how I missed this, but I've been to Durango a few times since both my wife and I have family there. If you happen to see this, check out Guido's Favorite Foods, it's an Italian Deli that my aunt and uncle own. My uncle did some kind of apprenticeship gig in Italy for a few years and his place is amazing.