cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need suggestions for Youth "movie night" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17032)

MikeWaters 02-22-2008 05:24 PM

Need suggestions for Youth "movie night"

guidelines:

1. Must be appropriate in content, even to mullahs.
2. some sort of redeeming message is good.
3. must appeal to both boys and girls
4. must be less than 1hr30min.

Those making smart-alecky suggestions will be banned to CB.

SteelBlue 02-22-2008 05:38 PM

I"ve had to do this before a few times and it's nearly impossible. I've come to the conclusion that the church should just stock a copy of "The Princess Bride" in the library and go with that for movie night. It doesn't satisfy all the requirements, (boys hear that title and realize their getting the short end of the stick), but it's about as close as you can get without offending the mullahs. I've seen people get offended by "Rudy", "The Karate Kid" etc... and at some point I just had to realize that these people probably won't watch any movies or that they just like crappy movies.

MikeWaters 02-22-2008 05:44 PM

Maybe I should ask the biggest mullah mother to give me a suggestion

SteelBlue 02-22-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 188077)
Maybe I should ask the biggest mullah mother to give me a suggestion

Prepare for "The Man From Snowy River".

marsupial 02-22-2008 05:47 PM

My understanding is that you are not supposed to show movies at church functions unless the movie is owned by the church. This is due to copyright laws, not content issues. I think few wards actually follow this guideline, though I used to live in a ward that did. We couldn't even show movies to the kids in the nursery during homemaking meeting.

MikeWaters 02-22-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 188080)

I like that film. But it may be too long at 1hr40min.

Jeff Lebowski 02-22-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 188080)

Or worse: "Chariots of Fire".

MikeWaters 02-22-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 188081)
My understanding is that you are not supposed to show movies at church functions unless the movie is owned by the church. This is due to copyright laws, not content issues. I think few wards actually follow this guideline, though I used to live in a ward that did. We couldn't even show movies to the kids in the nursery during homemaking meeting.

blah, blah, blah.

In our ward we follow common sense, not the handbook of instructions.

marsupial 02-22-2008 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 188085)
blah, blah, blah.

In our ward we follow common sense, not the handbook of instructions.

Movie night is a cop out activity anyway. Game nights are better. At least there is more thinking and interaction involved.

Jeff Lebowski 02-22-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 188088)
Movie night is a cop out activity anyway. Game nights are better. At least there is more thinking and interaction involved.

Yeah. What she said.