cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Test of Gospel's Truthfulness lies in its experience (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20243)

ChinoCoug 06-16-2008 05:38 AM

Test of Gospel's Truthfulness lies in its experience

Been reading Kierkegaard. His call to kill Bible commentators struck a chord with me, but the best part is that real truth is acquired experientially. It then follows that the real measure of the Gospel's validity is whether it does to our lives what it promises, not in historical detail.

UtahDan 06-16-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 232229)
Been reading Kierkegaard. His call to kill Bible commentators struck a chord with me, but the best part is that real truth is acquired experientially. It then follows that the real measure of the Gospel's validity is whether it does to our lives what it promises, not in historical detail.

If so, then I suppose that the Koran is true. As well the South Beach Diet book sitting on my shelf. Seems to me like your definition of truth is a little simplistic, if what you mean by truth is "from God" rather than just "correct."

I'm going to go make some pancakes now, some from my Betty Crocker book and some from my Better Homes Cookbook. I'll get back to you on which is true.

ChinoCoug 06-16-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 232234)
If so, then I suppose that the Koran is true. As well the South Beach Diet book sitting on my shelf. Seems to me like your definition of truth is a little simplistic, if what you mean by truth is "from God" rather than just "correct."

I'm going to go make some pancakes now, some from my Betty Crocker book and some from my Better Homes Cookbook. I'll get back to you on which is true.

you're just distinguishing between truth and fact, what I'm saying is there are things you can't know unless without experiencing. Gospel is one of them.

UtahDan 06-16-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 232239)
you're just distinguishing between truth and fact, what I'm saying is there are things you can't know unless without experiencing. Gospel is one of them.

I'm reading between the lines that you think this is the only meaningful test. I don't agree for the reason stated.

Taq Man 06-17-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

So is a really good orgasm.

Taq Man 06-17-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

So is getting drunk, high, using heroin, or meth. Read all you want but you will never know the power until you try it.

ChinoCoug 06-17-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 232329)
I'm reading between the lines that you think this is the only meaningful test. I don't agree for the reason stated.

it is the essential test.