cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   advice on remodeling bathroom (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9465)

MikeWaters 07-02-2007 06:36 PM

I've started the remodeling.

Meaning I have started to destroy the bathroom, with no plan on how it is going to be rebuilt.

il Padrino Ute 07-03-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 96369)
I've started the remodeling.

Meaning I have started to destroy the bathroom, with no plan on how it is going to be rebuilt.

That's a good start.

I usually do something like this and then start to put it back together. Then, after about a week, my Dad looks at it and tells me everything that I've done wrong. So I get frustrated with him telling me to "look at it" (which is his way of thinking he is helping me rather than actually helping me) to the point that I call somebody and pay them to finish the job.

dallas dan 08-30-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 95003)
Will need new sink fixture, tiling, and new stand-up shower.

What is the in-thing with tile? Travertine?

Thought about doing the fixture thing and cabinet through Ikea.

Shower, not sure what the options are, but I just might get the standard corner plastic shell.

The fancy glass ones look prohibitively expensive.

any advice?

Not sure what your budget is, but if you do it yourself, or have help from family it is about 25% of the cost. I had people come in and give me bids on my kitchen. They were all in the range of 20-25K. I ended up doing it myself, after watching HGTV for a week, and did the whole thing for about 6K, including all new appliances. We put in tile, tile backspash, cabinets, lighting fitures, etc. We actually got our cabinets from IKEA. They are very easy to install and are pretty nice. The thing about cabinets is unless you get custom they will probably be made out of particle board. That was my worry about buying the IKEA cabinets. We went to Home Depot to see what their prefab caninets were like, and it was the same thing. So I wouldn't worry to much about the quality of the IKEA stuff. As for the shower... I am not sure what you are going to do with the doors, but I would estimate about $400 for the whole thing. Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. Or if you want to see installed IKEA cabinets in a house. Although I am a geeky accountant.... I have done a lot of handyman stuff.

myboynoah 09-05-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallas dan (Post 119073)
Not sure what your budget is, but if you do it yourself, or have help from family it is about 25% of the cost. I had people come in and give me bids on my kitchen. They were all in the range of 20-25K. I ended up doing it myself, after watching HGTV for a week, and did the whole thing for about 6K, including all new appliances. We put in tile, tile backspash, cabinets, lighting fitures, etc. We actually got our cabinets from IKEA. They are very easy to install and are pretty nice. The thing about cabinets is unless you get custom they will probably be made out of particle board. That was my worry about buying the IKEA cabinets. We went to Home Depot to see what their prefab caninets were like, and it was the same thing. So I wouldn't worry to much about the quality of the IKEA stuff. As for the shower... I am not sure what you are going to do with the doors, but I would estimate about $400 for the whole thing. Let me know if you have any questions about this stuff. Or if you want to see installed IKEA cabinets in a house. Although I am a geeky accountant.... I have done a lot of handyman stuff.

So, did you do your kitchen plumbing yourself? We're putting in new countertops, sink, and fixtures and the countertop guy said we needed to call a plumber to hook up the sink and the fixtures. Is this something I could do myself (including the butt crack peaking out of low-hanging jeans), or is it best to avoid the hassle and hire a plumber? Would I need a bunch of plumbing tools?

Any advise from a geeky accountant would be greatly appreciated.

dallas dan 09-05-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 120556)
So, did you do your kitchen plumbing yourself? We're putting in new countertops, sink, and fixtures and the countertop guy said we needed to call a plumber to hook up the sink and the fixtures. Is this something I could do myself (including the butt crack peaking out of low-hanging jeans), or is it best to avoid the hassle and hire a plumber? Would I need a bunch of plumbing tools?

Any advise from a geeky accountant would be greatly appreciated.

The plumbing wasn't hard at all. That was probably the easiest part of the project. We used pvc pipe fittings for the drain/trap. If you go to Home Depot or Lowes they have all sorts of these. You have to cut them to size and it works fine. Hooking up the facet/fixutres is noting more than connecting lines. Make sure you use some plumbers dop to seal the threads. It isn't hard. Let me know if you have more questions.

myboynoah 09-05-2007 07:27 PM

Thank you Dan, you have given me the courage to go forward. However, I may be cursing your name next week, which, when you think about it, doesn't really mean that much.

Mormon Red Death 11-02-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 95003)
Will need new sink fixture, tiling, and new stand-up shower.

What is the in-thing with tile? Travertine?

Thought about doing the fixture thing and cabinet through Ikea.

Shower, not sure what the options are, but I just might get the standard corner plastic shell.

The fancy glass ones look prohibitively expensive.

any advice?

We just did this and spent close to 4k I did the ripping out of stuff and the tiling while the contractor did the rest. We gutted the thing as the subfloor needed to be fixed. I came away very happy with the results.

UteStar 11-02-2007 08:32 PM

So, are you going to post any pictures or what? Mike or MRD?

MikeWaters 11-02-2007 08:46 PM

I gave up and we are going to contract.

cougjunkie 11-02-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 145345)
I gave up and we are going to contract.

Pussy.