cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "The Road" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16319)

RockyBalboa 01-29-2008 03:22 PM

"The Road"

Upon the recommendation from many CG'ers I started this book.

It's hard to get used to McCarthys style, but I'm coming around.

Because of the style, I'm deliberately reading it slow. The guy has a gift for vivid and brooding scenery.

Jeff Lebowski 01-29-2008 04:51 PM

The other day I went and read some of the reviews on amazon for "The Road". It was pretty entertaining. Almost all of the early reviews are very good. And then the reviews become mixed; folks either loved it or hated it. Based on the timing and how the negative reviews are written, it is my theory that most of those reviewers are Oprah fans that went out and read the book on Oprah's recommendation. One of the reviewers called the plot too simplistic and (I am not making this up) compared McCarthy to A.A. Milne. Hilarious.

bigpiney 01-29-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 179233)
Upon the recommendation from many CG'ers I started this book.

It's hard to get used to McCarthys style, but I'm coming around.

Because of the style, I'm deliberately reading it slow. The guy has a gift for vivid and brooding scenery.

I too read it because of all the recommendations. It was good, not great.

I am reluctant to read more by him, but maybe in the future I will consider it.

creekster 01-29-2008 05:20 PM

I had a few hours to kill on a business trip a few weeks ago and wandered into a Barnes and Noble, found this book, sat down in the in-house cafe and started reading. It was pretty good, and very engaging. I got through about 1/2 or more of it. I liked it enough that I sat and read. Otoh, I have never gone back to finish it.

Surfah 01-29-2008 05:29 PM

The Road is a great book. I love the morality in the story. McCarthy has his own style for sure but he's the greatest living writer in my opinion and one of the best of the 20th century.

You should give his other stuff a chance. If you're not familiar with his work you'd be surprised at the titles you'd recognize.

Also read on a blog that The Road is being adapted for film with Viggo Mortensen as the lead. Expected out next year or '09. That would be epic.

Blood Meridian is also supposed to be set for film with Ridley Scott directing.

RockyBalboa 02-04-2008 10:29 PM

I finished "The Road" over the weekend and just returned it to the library.

While I'm still not sure I like McCarthys style, it's impossible to discount the haunting visions he seems to easily create and make stick in your mind.

Does everything the guy write come across just as dark, daunting and bleak?

I ask because it's the only book of his I've read.

After having a copy of "David O. McKay & The Rise of Modern Mormonism" since June, I'm finally cracking that open as my next read.

SeattleUte 02-04-2008 10:37 PM

I don't get how anyone could not love McCarthy and particularly the Road. Just goes to show you.

Lebowski, I think you're right. I don't think even Oprah knew what she was doing when she selected that book.

RockyBalboa 02-04-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 181533)
I don't get how anyone could not love McCarthy and particularly the Road. Just goes to show you.

Lebowski, I think you're right. I don't think even Oprah knew what she was doing when she selected that book.

His bizarre style takes some getting used to.

Archaea 02-04-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 181568)
His bizarre style takes some getting used to.

Why do you call his style bizarre?

I find it slow at times, but can generally give it a thumbs up. Not saying you are disagreeing, but what's "bizarre" about his style?

8ballrollin 02-04-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 181569)
Why do you call his style bizarre?

I find it slow at times, but can generally give it a thumbs up. Not saying you are disagreeing, but what's "bizarre" about his style?

It's probably his lack of punctuation - specifically an absence of quotation marks. Just a guess.