cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Literae Humaniores (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Battle of Marathon (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10724)

All-American 08-08-2007 03:52 AM

The Battle of Marathon

Here is a paper I'm submitting to a student journal named Studia Antiqua.

The Battle of Marathon was TOTALLY cool. Like, it was so cool that only ninjas could have won it better. Ninjas are awesome. They fight all the time, and do flips and kill people and stuff. Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time. I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town. My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window. Ninjas are sooooooooooo sweet that I want to crap my pants. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. These guys are totally awesome and that's a fact. Ninjas are fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet. That's why the Battle of Marathon should have been fought by ninjas.

SeattleUte 08-08-2007 04:03 AM

Good job. Great stuff.

Solon 08-10-2007 07:14 PM

Nice work and a fun read. Good job blending the ancient sources.

FWIW, and just my opinion, but your best and most crucial sentence:

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 110699)
Though its tactical importance was significant, the greatest contribution that the Battle of Marathon made towards to rise of Athens and Greece was not so much strategic as it was psychological.

comes a little late. I don't want to tell you your business, but it would nave read better (IMO) to have this mentioned up front. Just my opinion, though.

I really like the emphasis you place on the Athenian psyche. Even though naysayers criticize the battle as inconsequential to a disinterested Persian empire, you're right to highlight the enormous impact this battle had on Athenian identity. Aeschylus chose his service in this battle for his epitaph, and those who fell were heroized by the state. Truly, this did usher in Athens' golden age.

Thanks for the read.

MikeWaters 08-10-2007 07:29 PM

FYI, most journals will not print something that has put out into the public domain before.

So post your papers at your own risk.

All-American 08-10-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 111792)
FYI, most journals will not print something that has put out into the public domain before.

So post your papers at your own risk.

Oh, that's actually a good point. I guess I should wipe this, then.

All-American 08-10-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 111778)
Nice work and a fun read. Good job blending the ancient sources.

FWIW, and just my opinion, but your best and most crucial sentence:

comes a little late. I don't want to tell you your business, but it would nave read better (IMO) to have this mentioned up front. Just my opinion, though.

I really like the emphasis you place on the Athenian psyche. Even though naysayers criticize the battle as inconsequential to a disinterested Persian empire, you're right to highlight the enormous impact this battle had on Athenian identity. Aeschylus chose his service in this battle for his epitaph, and those who fell were heroized by the state. Truly, this did usher in Athens' golden age.

Thanks for the read.

To be frank, I was a little scared to put this in front of actual classicists. If the worst criticism you've got for me is that I've put an important sentence too late in the paper, I feel pretty good about it. Thanks for your input-- I'll try to work something out to get the idea stated earlier.

MikeWaters 08-10-2007 08:02 PM

we have a private section for getting feedback on writing, btw.

Mormon Red Death 08-10-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 110699)
Here is a paper I'm submitting to a student journal named Studia Antiqua.

The Battle of Marathon was TOTALLY cool. Like, it was so cool that only ninjas could have won it better. Ninjas are awesome. They fight all the time, and do flips and kill people and stuff. Ninjas can kill anyone they want! Ninjas cut off heads ALL the time and don't even think twice about it. These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time. I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town. My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window. Ninjas are sooooooooooo sweet that I want to crap my pants. I can't believe it sometimes, but I feel it inside my heart. These guys are totally awesome and that's a fact. Ninjas are fast, smooth, cool, strong, powerful, and sweet. That's why the Battle of Marathon should have been fought by ninjas.

I concur Ninjas kick ass... the world needs more ninjas

All-American 08-17-2007 08:46 PM

I just got an email back from the journal's editor asking for clarification on a couple of footnotes and some info for a short bio. A pretty good sign, wouldn't you say?

il Padrino Ute 08-18-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 113744)
I just got an email back from the journal's editor asking for clarification on a couple of footnotes and some info for a short bio. A pretty good sign, wouldn't you say?

That does sound like good thing. Did you include that you leap tall buildings in a single bound in your bio?