cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is homosexuality a sin? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24668)

Surfah 11-12-2008 03:07 AM

Is homosexuality a sin?

If homosexuality is not a choice, then is it not a sin?

Bruincoug 11-12-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294034)

within the last two decades, the Church has moved from "homosexuality is a sin" TO "homosexuality is not a sin, but homosexual behavior is"

that is, it's not your fault if you have homosexual desires -- just if you indulge them or fail to suppress them.

UtahDan 11-12-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294034)

Impulse v. action. The former is never a sin, but the latter can be.

Levin 11-12-2008 04:09 AM

Race is an immutable characteristic in which there is no choice. You do not "act" in order to express that immutable characteristic.

With sexual orientation, you have to act in order to express that immutable characteristic. It is that action where the commandment is broken. Christ says it is better to bear that cross, and not act, then to go to hell. This leads me to believe it is a sin. But I secretly believe immutable characteristics that require acts in order for them to be expressed are judged differently. Very differently.

Surfah 11-12-2008 04:27 AM

I understand and believe these things as stated. It seems to me though that some may not believe that it is a sin.

BarbaraGordon 11-12-2008 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 294040)
Impulse v. action. The former is never a sin, but the latter can be.

???

BlueHair 11-12-2008 04:32 AM

Only if it's the flannel wearing lesbian type. If two hot chicks getting freaky is a sin, I don't want to be righteous.

BarbaraGordon 11-12-2008 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 294084)
If two hot chicks getting freaky is a sin, I don't want to be righteous.

Was anybody else disappointed that the Katy girl never actually kissed any of the other girls in the cherry chapstick video? What was that about?

Surfah 11-12-2008 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruincoug (Post 294037)
within the last two decades, the Church has moved from "homosexuality is a sin" TO "homosexuality is not a sin, but homosexual behavior is"

that is, it's not your fault if you have homosexual desires -- just if you indulge them or fail to suppress them.

So, homosexual desires are okay but a heterosexual can commit adultery in his heart and the sin be just as actionable as the literal act?

BarbaraGordon 11-12-2008 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 294088)
So, homosexual desires are okay but a heterosexual can commit adultery in his heart and the sin be just as actionable as the literal act?

I don't think anybody actually believes that stuff about lust in the heart being as sinful as adultery. If the church really taught that, it'd basically be a license to go get jiggy all the time.