cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Can we re-baptize Michael Quinn? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28105)

ChinoCoug 10-05-2011 06:35 PM

Can we re-baptize Michael Quinn?

I heard that he refuses to deny God's existence and the Restoration. I know he's a homosexual, but I'm sure his bishop can work something out where he can still go to church.

If Bushman can say JS was a product of his environment, why can't Quinn?

Archaea 10-05-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 314723)
I heard that he refuses to deny God's existence and the Restoration. I know he's a homosexual, but I'm sure his bishop can work something out where he can still go to church.

If Bushman can say JS was a product of his environment, why can't Quinn?

Why was Quinn ex'ed?

He is "faithful" in many respects and besides Bushman, one of the better professional historians for LDS issues.

Tex 10-05-2011 08:42 PM

Obviously I wasn't in the room when the call was made, but as I understand it, it wasn't just homosexuality that was the issue. I recall he was excommunicated for apostasy.

On what specifically? No idea.

Archaea 10-05-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 314727)
Obviously I wasn't in the room when the call was made, but as I understand it, it wasn't just homosexuality that was the issue. I recall he was excommunicated for apostasy.

To the best of my knowledge, he's not been a guy who ran and started his own church, or who has gone out of his way to deride the Church or its leadership. He has his conclusions, some of which I don't share, that may divert from the Church position, but I don't see the reason for excommunicating him. I would hope he'd be considered for readmission if my understanding is correct.

ChinoCoug 10-13-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 314727)

You're probably right, but at this point it mattereth not why he was ex'ed. Homosexuality probably would prevent his re-baptism, and that's my concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 314729)
To the best of my knowledge, he's not been a guy who ran and started his own church, or who has gone out of his way to deride the Church or its leadership. He has his conclusions, some of which I don't share, that may divert from the Church position, but I don't see the reason for excommunicating him. I would hope he'd be considered for readmission if my understanding is correct.

Yeah, he is still firm on the truth of the restoration. He documented JS's involvement with folk magic (among other things), which at the time would probably hurt the Church. Times have changed, and being perhaps the one most knowledgeable people on Mormonism and remaining a solid believer would be an asset to the Church.

ute4ever 09-30-2013 03:16 AM

Told his story to the SL Trib last week.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56...hurch.html.csp

I thought the turning point was his campaigning to be an apostle, considering himself as one of the twelve chosen ones. Also couldn't fathom the idea of the brethren having a deeper understanding of science than someone as educated as himself.

MikeWaters 09-30-2013 07:11 PM

there's no reason to even think about it. He himself says he doesn't want to be a member.

I've not read anything he has written, but a friend who has and whose opinion I respect says that Quinn started to strain credulity with some of his conclusions to fit what seemed to be a preconceived agenda.