cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is there any respect for beliefs here? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11139)

JohnnyLingo 08-23-2007 05:14 PM

Is there any respect for beliefs here?

I've noticed that very rarely does a discussion come up where both people involved come away from it respecting the other's beliefs.

The discussions usually devolve into belittling the other's beliefs and causing more contention.

Is this good or bad? I don't know.

DirtyHippieUTE 08-23-2007 05:16 PM

Shut up you commie, puppy hating, moron, douchebag....

Your beliefs are stupid and you are dumb.

JohnnyLingo 08-23-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE (Post 116082)
Shut up you commie, puppy hating, moron, douchebag....

Your beliefs are stupid and you are dumb.

Excellent. :)

BYU71 08-23-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 116079)
I've noticed that very rarely does a discussion come up where both people involved come away from it respecting the other's beliefs.

The discussions usually devolve into belittling the other's beliefs and causing more contention.

I think I respect someone's right to have a belief different than mine. If I disagree with their belief though, why would I respect the belief.

YOhio 08-23-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 116079)

Are you being serious? This post is strange coming from somebody who is so adept at mocking others beliefs.

JohnnyLingo 08-23-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 116092)
Are you being serious? This post is strange coming from somebody who is so adept at mocking others beliefs.

Did I say I was innocent of this?

creekster 08-23-2007 05:38 PM

I do all the time. Reespecting beliefs is not equivalent to agreeing with them.

All-American 08-23-2007 05:39 PM

We try. We should try harder.

Jeff Lebowski 08-23-2007 05:40 PM

On the contrary. While things get intense at times, I very much enjoy learning what others believe and why. I have found it to be quite rewarding. In my day-to-day life, I simply don't have an avenue for discussion like this with such a wide array of highly intelligent folks with such diverse experiences.

JohnnyLingo 08-23-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 116104)
On the contrary. While things get intense at times, I very much enjoy learning what others believe and why. I have found it to be quite rewarding. In my day-to-day life, I simply don't have an avenue for discussion like this with such a wide array of highly intelligent folks with such diverse experiences.

Your interactions with Tex are rewarding?

I'd have never known.