cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Literae Humaniores (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Illiad online (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8658)

SeattleUte 05-29-2007 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 85138)
I like the Samuel Butler English translation of the Iliad that's online a lot.

And Pope's, touted even by the Introduction to Fagles' Iliad as the greatest ever (though every generation must have its own take), is also online.

SeattleUte 05-29-2007 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 85103)
Okay, Greek scholars, so I'm an idiot, but look at the second word of the Illiad in Greek, which means sing in imperative form.

What is that second letter? It's not made the way I've seen the Greek alphabet before. Help, I'm an idiot.

It's all Greek to me.

Jeff Lebowski 05-29-2007 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 85138)
I like the Samuel Butler English translation of the Iliad that's online a lot.

Translations? We don't need no stinkin' translations.

il Padrino Ute 05-29-2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 85137)
Hey, you've got to admire the chutzpah of the guy. I suppose once you tackle an ironman, nothing is intimidating.

Excellent point.

Would you be impressed if I told you that I've read The Godfather in Italian?

Archaea 05-29-2007 04:58 PM

Actually, the Greek is not that bad except it just requires work to memorize the endings.

Apparently, there are four letters which are not taught but used in some ancient letters.

And nobody knows how those letters were expressed for certain.

Archaea 05-29-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 85133)
This thread is great. "Hey guys, I am going to read the Illiad in Greek, but I am stuck on the second word." That's awesome, Archaea.

Just being ambitious doesn't make one good.

The prose is difficult to grasp. Perhaps I should, but won't, tackle something easier.

Here's the sentence, very first one, Lebowski, with some difficult structure.

Μηνιν αϜειδε θεά Πηληϊαδεω Αχιλῆος
ουλομενην μῡρί' Αχαιoῖς αλγε' εθηκε
πολλὰς δ' ιφθῑμους ψῡχὰς ΑϜιδι προϊαψεν
ἡρωων αυτοὺς δε Ϝελωρια τευχε κυνεσσιν
οιωνοῖσι τε πᾶσι

Note the second word is a weird imperative of to sing. It doesn't show up in my dictionary.

Solon 05-30-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 85133)
This thread is great. "Hey guys, I am going to read the Illiad in Greek, but I am stuck on the second word." That's awesome, Archaea.

Too funny.

You're doing okay if you get the first word. RAGE pretty much sums up the whole book.

Solon 05-30-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 85104)
It's called a digamma. Looks like an f, sounds like a w. Or so it is thought. You haven't seen it before because it's an archaic letter that isn't listed with the rest of the greek alphabet. The w sound just went out of use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 85103)
What is that second letter? It's not made the way I've seen the Greek alphabet before. Help, I'm an idiot.

The digamma does look like an F, but I don't think that word should have one. I suspect this site is having issues with the greek font. The accented letters are coming through sporadically, especially those with smooth/rough breathings (initial vowels).