cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why were blacks denied the Priesthood in the first place? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19274)

NorCal Cat 05-10-2008 05:51 AM

Why were blacks denied the Priesthood in the first place?

How did this whole notion of blacks not being ordained to the Priesthood begin? Was the first black man baptized, and then some leader received a revelation not to give him the Priesthood, or what?

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2008 05:53 AM

Everyone was a racist in this country at that point in history, so it wouldn't be uncommon for blacks to be denied privileges in any organization, be it religious or secular.

SeattleUte 05-10-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 219321)
Everyone was a racist in this country at that point in history, so it wouldn't be uncommon for blacks to be denied privileges in any organization, be it religious or secular.

Bullshit. There were many millions of people who were opposed to denying blacks privileges. It was not long before we fought a bloody civil war over that very issue.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2008 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 219323)
Bullshit. There were many millions of people who were opposed to denying blacks privileges. It was not long before we fought a bloody civil war over that very issue.

If that's the case, why did it take approximately 100 years later to finally get around to giving blacks the same privileges?

SeattleUte 05-10-2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 219326)
If that's the case, why did it take approximately 100 years later to finally get around to giving blacks the same privileges?

You mean in the south?

Why don't you just man up and acknowledge the LDS CHurch leaders who denied blacks the full church benefits were immoral and stop engaging in this the sorriest assed kind of apologetics. Many millions of Americans were opposed to Jim Crow. Believing the priesthood ban required the most imbecilic literal belief in creationism for that matter.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 219328)
You mean in the south?

Why don't you just man up and acknowledge the LDS CHurch leaders who denied blacks the full church benefits were immoral and stop engaging in this the sorriest assed kind of apologetics. Many millions of Americans were opposed to Jim Crow. Believing the priesthood ban required the most imbecilic literal belief in creationism for that matter.

I have no problem admitting that early Mormon leaders were racists. And perhaps I'm wrong, but the South was a part of the US after teh Civil War. So if you want to include the south, you'd be correct. Or are you saying that there was no institutional racism in the North (that wasn't run by Mormons?)

Now, why don't you man up and admit that you leave out vital information in your comments if they don't adhere to your belief that Mormons - from the beginning to today - are idiots.

Need an example? Ok, slavery was an issue, not the cause of the Civil War. You've proven that you know history well enough to know that that is a true statement.

SeattleUte 05-10-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 219329)
I have no problem admitting that early Mormon leaders were racists. And perhaps I'm wrong, but the South was a part of the US after teh Civil War. So if you want to include the south, you'd be correct. Or are you saying that there was no institutional racism in the North (that wasn't run by Mormons?)

Now, why don't you man up and admit that you leave out vital information in your comments if they don't adhere to your belief that Mormons - from the beginning to today - are idiots.

Need an example? Ok, slavery was an issue, not the cause of the Civil War. You've proven that you know history well enough to know that that is a true statement.

Slavery was the cause of the civil war. It was not just one among many issues. Anyone arguing otherwise is an apologist for southern racists. We've been over this and I don't intend to rehash it.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2008 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 219331)
Slavery was the cause of the civil war. It was not just one among many issues. Anyone arguing otherwise is an apologist for southern racists. We've been over this and I don't intend to rehash it.

So, you refuse to admit that you have an agenda against the LDS Church?

Speaks volumes.

SeattleUte 05-10-2008 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 219332)
So, you refuse to admit that you have an agenda against the LDS Church?

Speaks volumes.

My agenda is truth.

il Padrino Ute 05-10-2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 219333)
My agenda is truth.

An amendment to the volumes already spoken?