cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Cooking asparagus (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19068)

ute4ever 05-02-2008 07:44 PM

Cooking asparagus

Occasionally I try to eat healthy, and have purchased asparagus for the first time. Am I supposed to boil and eat the entire stalk, or just the top half, or just the tips?

YOhio 05-02-2008 07:46 PM

Just snip off the bottom part where it's not completely green and you can boil the rest, though I prefer to prepare it using steam.

marsupial 05-02-2008 07:50 PM

We usually break off the bottom where it naturally breaks. Then we boil them for just a couple of minutes so that they don't get soggy. Danimal likes his tossed with olive oil and salt. I usually just have mine plain.

Flystripper 05-02-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 216657)
Occasionally I try to eat healthy, and have purchased asparagus for the first time. Am I supposed to boil and eat the entire stalk, or just the top half, or just the tips?

I prefer asparagus grilled or sauteed

TripletDaddy 05-02-2008 07:57 PM

I enjoy grilled or sauteed in olive oil, as well.

if water must be involved, use a steamer to keep them crisp.

I eat the whole stalk.

My wife's family dips them in mayonnaise, which actually is not a bad idea, if, by not a "bad idea," you mean "an absolutely disgusting and horrible idea."

YOhio 05-02-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 216678)
My wife's family dips them in mayonnaise, which actually is not a bad idea, if, by not a "bad idea," you mean "an absolutely disgusting and horrible idea."

Yucky. Mayo is my most hated condiment in the world.

ute4ever 05-02-2008 08:14 PM

Thanks kids. I steamed them and added a splash of lowfat Italian dressing, and they turned out alright.

marsupial 05-02-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 216678)
I enjoy grilled or sauteed in olive oil, as well.

if water must be involved, use a steamer to keep them crisp.

I eat the whole stalk.

we did this growing up as well. Also with broccoli and artichoke. I don't do it now.

TripletDaddy 05-02-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 216681)
Yucky. Mayo is my most hated condiment in the world.

Same. I only will eat it in egg salad or potatoE salad.

I cant stand it on a sandwich. And I am certainly not dipping my veggies in it.

UteStar 05-02-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 216657)

You are not supposed to eat it...you are supposed to just lick it until it dissolves away. Let us know what you think.