cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oppose Prop 8 eh? Get ready to hand in your Temple Rec (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23864)

NorCal Cat 10-21-2008 08:35 AM

Oppose Prop 8 eh? Get ready to hand in your Temple Rec

A relative of mine told me there are several people in her ward that oppose Prop 8, and have worn "no on 8" buttons to church. One of them WAS on the stake high council. I say "was" because he has now been released, and his temple recommend has been taken away. Also, he has been asked not to speak or pray at church functions.

Levin 10-21-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 282231)
A relative of mine told me there are several people in her ward that oppose Prop 8, and have worn "no on 8" buttons to church. One of them WAS on the stake high council. I say "was" because he has now been released, and his temple recommend has been taken away. Also, he has been asked not to speak or pray at church functions.

This is terrible news. Why are you gloating?

Sleeping in EQ 10-21-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

You never know what you'll get from local leadership, but in all likelihood the problem is with wearing the buttons. I've never been asked how I voted or what I did or didn't vote for by a church leader (in an official way).

YOhio 10-21-2008 01:59 PM

Wearing political buttons at church is obnoxious, but so is mobilizing Prop 8 support in the third hour.

NorCal Cat 10-21-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 282262)
Wearing political buttons at church is obnoxious, but so is mobilizing Prop 8 support in the third hour.

Yes, following through with what the prophets in SLC have instructed us to do is obnoxious.

scottie 10-21-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 282265)
Yes, following through with what the prophets in SLC have instructed us to do is obnoxious.

What have they instructed you to do?

BYU71 10-21-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Why would you wear a no button to church unless you wanted to stick in someones face. I think they (the button wearers) are probably so upset over the churches support they wanted their recommends pulled.

I don't feel any compassion for them in any way. I am not a rah rah mormon guy, but I also don't have empathy for folks who want to openly protest and challenge the leaders. It isn't a democracy. It isn't a club or fraternity.

If someone on this board got their recommend jerked for just expressing their opinion, that is one thing that would bother me, but open confrontation in church. I say see ya and best of luck in some club where you will feel more comfortable.

TripletDaddy 10-21-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 282275)
Why would you wear a no button to church unless you wanted to stick in someones face. I think they (the button wearers) are probably so upset over the churches support they wanted their recommends pulled.

I don't feel any compassion for them in any way. I am not a rah rah mormon guy, but I also don't have empathy for folks who want to openly protest and challenge the leaders. It isn't a democracy. It isn't a club or fraternity.

If someone on this board got their recommend jerked for just expressing their opinion, that is one thing that would bother me, but open confrontation in church. I say see ya and best of luck in some club where you will feel more comfortable.

I wore a button to Young Mens that said "Missions are OPTIONAL." The Bishop asked me to remove it.

NorCal Cat 10-21-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie (Post 282267)
What have they instructed you to do?

To support Prop 8.

NorCal Cat 10-21-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 282325)
I wore a button to Young Mens that said "Missions are OPTIONAL." The Bishop asked me to remove it.

Is this a joke? If not, good for your Bishop. Were you a YM leader at the time?