cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Do you enjoy emergency preparedness? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22895)

MikeWaters 09-26-2008 05:11 PM

Do you enjoy emergency preparedness?

Or do you think it is drudgery, or worse, foolhardy?

jay santos 09-26-2008 06:30 PM

I've never heard of someone dying in a developed nation specifically because they didn't have food storage or other emergency preparedness items. Therefore I conclude food storage/etc is an economic/comfort issue, i.e. if emergency hits I will be more comfortable or I will save some money. And I can't make the analysis work in favor of food storage looking at it that way.

ERCougar 09-27-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 270304)
Or do you think it is drudgery, or worse, foolhardy?

72 hour kits - wise.
1-yr food supply - if I'm being honest--foolhardy.

minn_stat 10-04-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 270958)
72 hour kits - wise.

I agree, although I would add that a two or three month supply of food can be pretty useful, if it is mostly food you actually eat. We try to have a two month-ish supply of things like peanut butter, rice, pasta, spaghetti sauce, soup, canned vegetables and fruit, and of course, the old LDS favorite, jello. We have an extra freezer and do the same with ground beef, frozen vegetables, chicken, pork, etc. We rotate through it all pretty regularly, and rarely have to throw any away.

Allows you to buy much of your food on sale, and you have some sort of cushion, without tying up all that money in food that will likely never be consumed. For example, I've rarely paid more than $2.49/lb for boneless skinless chicken breasts (generally run about $3.99/lb in these parts).

MikeWaters 10-06-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 270958)
72 hour kits - wise.

"Daddy, are we going to die?"

That's going to be a tough question for you to answer three months into a food crisis, having lost so much weight you can barely stand up.

Prepare, before the night cometh. For after the night cometh, there will be no more room for preparation.

Surfah 10-06-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 275273)
"Daddy, are we going to die?"

That's going to be a tough question for you to answer three months into a food crisis, having lost so much weight you can barely stand up.

Prepare, before the night cometh. For after the night cometh, there will be no more room for preparation.

The Road.