cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I think the vegetarian lifestyle is unhealthy (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20729)

SeattleUte 07-08-2008 05:22 AM

I think the vegetarian lifestyle is unhealthy

I've observed that vegens and vegetarians tend to be overweight. Also, if you go in their restaurants and bakeries there is an obsession with desserts--there is a huge selection, they are front and center, and the portions are huge. I think vegens and vegetarians compensate by loading up on carbs and sweets--not refined sugar, mind you, cane juice (as if it mattered).

Food for thought, anyway.

Flame away.

il Padrino Ute 07-08-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 238966)
I've observed that vegens and vegetarians tend to be overweight. Also, if you go in their restaurants and bakeries there is an obsession with desserts--there is a huge selection, they are front and center, and the portions are huge. I think vegens and vegetarians compensate by loading up on carbs and sweets--not refined sugar, mind you, cane juice (as if it mattered).

Flame away.

No need to flame when I'm in agreement.

YOhio 07-08-2008 05:39 AM

My wife was a vegetarian when we first married and she had been for seven years. She gradually became a carnivore and lost a bit of weight in the process. I think it was the reduction of carbs.

marsupial 07-08-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 238971)
My wife was a vegetarian when we first married and she had been for seven years. She gradually became a carnivore and lost a bit of weight in the process. I think it was the reduction of carbs.

Interesting. I was a vegetarian for 6 years. I quit after I got pregnant with my son and really craved a burger. Once I lost all the baby weight, I maintained a weight approximately 5 pounds less than when I was a veg. But I always figured it had more to do with leaving the workforce and being at home where no one brings me donuts and no one keeps jars of candy on their desk.

marsupial 07-08-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Flame away.

Vegetarianism done right is healthier. My cousin is a vegetarian. She eats a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes. She is thin and fit. She likes her sweets but I don't think she overdoes it. I have a friend who is a vegetarian, but from what I can tell, she pretty much eats the same crappy, overly-processed American diet, just sans meat.

FarrahWaters 07-08-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 238986)
Vegetarianism done right is healthier. My cousin is a vegetarian. She eats a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes. She is thin and fit. She likes her sweets but I don't think she overdoes it. I have a friend who is a vegetarian, but from what I can tell, she pretty much eats the same crappy, overly-processed American diet, just sans meat.

It takes a lot more effort to be a healthy vegetarian. A lot of vegetarians I know won't take the time to make something well-balanced and filling. They will grab fast food (sure, the tofu corn dogs might be more healthy than the real thing, but they are still processed) or some other handy processed food to eat.

I've tried to cook one veg meal a week, and I have a hard time coming up with a good variety. I have more success with incorporating a little meat, and filling the rest of the plate with veggies, grains, and legumes.

MikeWaters 07-08-2008 02:51 PM

I call them twinkie-terians.

They are fat and they eat junk food.

I was almost a vegetarian during college. I didn't buy meat very often.

BarbaraGordon 07-08-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Flame away.

You know, I went vegetarian a year ago. I was curious about this "great feeling" you get that they claim only comes from a vegetarian lifestyle.

I can tell you with certainty that I have experienced and identified that "unique feeling"...it's called hunger.

YOhio 07-08-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 239028)
You know, I went vegetarian a year ago. I was curious about this "great feeling" you get that they claim only comes from a vegetarian lifestyle.

I can tell you with certainty that I have experienced and identified that "unique feeling"...it's called hunger.

What the hell has come over you Babs? You change your voter registration from R to D. You declare for Obama. Now you've become a vegetarian? You live in Norman, not Austin. Act like it dammit!

myboynoah 07-08-2008 07:30 PM

One of the missionaries in the ward is an extreme vegan, very extreme. He never smiles.