cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   What should this site be? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How many of you pay for webhosting currently? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13651)

MikeWaters 11-08-2007 03:08 AM

How many of you pay for webhosting currently?

The reason I ask is because maybe a future model for our hosting is for me to purchase a reseller plan and then to cheaply rent out some of that server space.

This only comes into play if the current webhosting proves inadequate as we grow.

Is there anyone that would potentially be interested? I'm talking about something as little as $5 per month.

Archaea 11-08-2007 03:50 AM

Several companies I have a part in, might be able to participate.

bluegoose 11-08-2007 04:06 PM

I have no idea what you just said, but I pay $11.95 a month for Yahoo small business service.

Its probably a bit more pricey than I need for such a small site, but its user friendly and easy to maintain, important considerations for a hack like me.

I would possibly be interested in some info as it comes.

MikeWaters 11-08-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 147490)
I have no idea what you just said, but I pay $11.95 a month for Yahoo small business service.

Its probably a bit more pricey than I need for such a small site, but its user friendly and easy to maintain, important considerations for a hack like me.

I would possibly be interested in some info as it comes.

That's probably a bit different, as your thing has some commerce software that is plug and play. With this, you would just be getting webspace, which means you would have to upload your own website/software.

bluegoose 11-08-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 147495)
That's probably a bit different, as your thing has some commerce software that is plug and play. With this, you would just be getting webspace, which means you would have to upload your own website/software.

No, no commerce software, just information. I doubt that I would be able to upload my own website without a major overhaul, as I use a Yahoo template.

Runner Coug 11-08-2007 08:10 PM

I've got three domains hosted with aplus.net, and each one has 170 gigs of space for 10 bucks a month. I don't know that what you're proposing would be worth the hassle of transferring everything.

MikeWaters 11-08-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 147636)
I've got three domains hosted with aplus.net, and each one has 170 gigs of space for 10 bucks a month. I don't know that what you're proposing would be worth the hassle of transferring everything.

How many gigs do you actually use? This site doesn't even come close to 1 gig, I don't think.

There would be two reasons to move:

1) cheaper for you
2) supports this site

Runner Coug 11-08-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 147640)
How many gigs do you actually use? This site doesn't even come close to 1 gig, I don't think.

There would be two reasons to move:

1) cheaper for you
2) supports this site

One of them I also use for backup, so it's probably got 30-40 gigs full, and growing.

The other two are very small sites. It may work to transfer those.

MikeWaters 11-08-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 147645)
One of them I also use for backup, so it's probably got 30-40 gigs full, and growing.

The other two are very small sites. It may work to transfer those.

It's fairly unlikely this will actually come to fruition. Just exploring options.

tooblue 11-08-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 147372)
The reason I ask is because maybe a future model for our hosting is for me to purchase a reseller plan and then to cheaply rent out some of that server space.

This only comes into play if the current webhosting proves inadequate as we grow.

Is there anyone that would potentially be interested? I'm talking about something as little as $5 per month.

Possibly. But the service better be good -no down time with lotsa cool features. My current webhosting is awsome -to the point I forget they even exist!