cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Question regarding wives of JS (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12934)

BYUruss 10-17-2007 09:47 PM

Question regarding wives of JS

Joseph Smith had a couple 14 year old wives, and also married a couple women after sending their first husbands away on a mission. So here's the question....do most of you believe that he was called of God to marry what are essentially still children, and other already married women? Or do you think that a better explanation is that nobody is perfect, including JS, and this was just being human? Or was it something else? Having not found out about that stuff until my mission, it's something that I've always wondered about.

SoonerCoug 10-17-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYUruss (Post 137781)
Jodeph Smith had a couple 14 year old wives, and also married a couple women after sending their first husbands away on a mission. So here's the question....do most of you believe that he was called of God to marry what are essentially still children, and other already married women? Or do you think that a better explanation is that nobody is perfect, including JS, and this was just being human? Or was it something else? Having not found out about that stuff until my mission, it's something that I've always wondered about.

IMO, JS had some serious problems, but it shouldn't negate the good things he did.

Please change your avatar. It's ruining the board.

Archaea 10-17-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Jodeph Smith had a couple 14 year old wives, and also married a couple women after sending their first husbands away on a mission. So here's the question....do most of you believe that he was called of God to marry what are essentially still children, and other already married women? Or do you think that a better explanation is that nobody is perfect, including JS, and this was just being human? Or was it something else? Having not found out about that stuff until my mission, it's something that I've always wondered about.

Without intending to be rude, we've discussed this ad nauseum, so "you first" is the rule on these sorts of repeat inquiries.

BYUruss 10-17-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 137783)
Without intending to be rude, we've discussed this ad nauseum, so "you first" is the rule on these sorts of repeat inquiries.

I've only been a member here for a few days, so sorry to rehash this discussion. I'll just head over to CB and get their opinion. I'll bet they'll be openminded on the subject.

Archaea 10-17-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYUruss (Post 137789)
I've only been a member here for a few days, so sorry to rehash this discussion. I'll just head over to CB and get their opinion. I'll bet they'll be openminded on the subject.

The general consensus was, it's an oddity, we didn't understand it, there might be more to it, but a majority doubted God called him to do that. There were some who dissented and believed it came from God. The majority opinion wondered and surmised, it was a man being a man, but that God would deal with it in the hereafter. That can save you a lot of reading. But we've had three to five threads on this very same subject. Do a search if you want entertaining reading on the subject.

RC Vikings 10-17-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Good luck with that.

non sequitur 10-17-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 137783)

Have you ever noticed that when a person starts a sentence with "I don't mean to be rude...", there's a pretty good chance they're about to say something rude.

Goatnapper'96 10-17-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

I have more questions concerning polygamy than strong opinions. I guess I am like many in that regard. If pinned down my opinion today is that I am not convinced one way or the other concerning whether or not polygamy was originally of God in principle. If it was of God in principle, I believe what you described above was not the manner in which it was intended to be applicated. So in those cases my opinion, which is not to reach SE Idaho, is that Joseph Smith was not acting in accordance with God's will.

ute4ever 10-17-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Once your post gets deleted and you get suspended, which should take about 5 minutes, come on back.

jay santos 10-17-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

My theory is that polygamy in the latter day was not ordained by God, and that Joseph got his wires crossed thinking it was from God when it wasn't. God fixed the problem a couple prophets later. No harm no foul. This isn't the strongest opinion I have and if someone like Tex was going to fight with me over it, I probably don't have much conviction to fight back. I don't know how else to explain what seems so inconsistent and weird.