cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Outdoor / Scouting / Survival (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Doing scout swim checks tonight (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19959)

MikeWaters 06-04-2008 09:27 PM

Doing scout swim checks tonight

Yes, I will be on super-guard to make sure that no one gets hurt.

I've made that very clear to people involved. And I'm not going to tolerate any disobedience.

I have friends that bought a house in Dallas a couple years back. Nice house with pool. I noted that the french doors opened directly to the pool. I made a comment about this, about the potential danger since they have two very young kids. I got a feeling from their response that I had spoken out of turn, and I felt a little bad about it.

But looking back now, I'm glad I said it.

UtahDan 06-04-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 228497)
Yes, I will be on super-guard to make sure that no one gets hurt.

I've made that very clear to people involved. And I'm not going to tolerate any disobedience.

I have friends that bought a house in Dallas a couple years back. Nice house with pool. I noted that the french doors opened directly to the pool. I made a comment about this, about the potential danger since they have two very young kids. I got a feeling from their response that I had spoken out of turn, and I felt a little bad about it.

But looking back now, I'm glad I said it.

If anything goes wrong, check back in and we will give you some medical advice.

MikeWaters 06-04-2008 10:23 PM

The people I have talked to, about why I am extra concerned for safety, have been quite sobered.

Theoretical risk and anecdotal risk are very different in terms of the way humans weigh them. Anecdotal risk wins.

FMCoug 06-04-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 228526)
Theoretical risk and anecdotal risk are very different in terms of the way humans weigh them. Anecdotal risk wins.

I bet we have received 20 phone calls from other people we know who have pools saying that could have been us, etc. Very sobering. Several have canceled end of year swim parties at their homes.

MikeWaters 06-05-2008 03:20 PM

The swim check went well, except for the fact that the bishopric 1st counselor's kid pooed in the pool. I don't think we will be invited back.

YOhio 06-05-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 228620)
The swim check went well, except for the fact that the bishopric 1st counselor's kid pooed in the pool. I don't think we will be invited back.

Gross. How old was he?

MikeWaters 06-05-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleNewt (Post 228632)
Gross. How old was he?

4 or 5.

Poo in the pool. A number of hispanic scouts at a posh apartment swimming pool. No, we will not be welcome again.

myboynoah 06-05-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 228620)

This kid is a scout? What's up with that?

The opening day of public pools in Memphis last weekend resulted in two teenagers drowning. Always be extra vigilant.

When my eldest was three we went to the community pool and we entered the shallow end, which was still too deep for her. I told her to stay on the step (I was in the pool next to her) while I prepared the floaties. My wife asked a question, I turned to answer. I turned back around (not 5 seconds later) and my daughters is off the step in the shallow end on her tippy toes trying to keep her nose above the water. One of the scariest moments of my life. We were probably just 10 seconds away from CPR and an ambulance.

MikeWaters 06-09-2008 05:13 PM

The pool was closed the next day.

And now the pool has been completely drained.

No, I don't think we will be invited back. They have probably provided surveillance tape to the police.