cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   China + birds (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17657)

SoonerCoug 03-13-2008 05:56 AM

China + birds

I work with lots of Chinese people (directly from China). We have huge communication problems for a variety of reasons.

I never cease to be amazed by the vast cultural differences. Also, it's basically impossible for me to have an intelligent discussion with most of them because of what I perceive to be their warped sense of reality resulting from intense indoctrination. It's a little like trying to have an intelligent discussion with Lingo.

My Chinese friends are shocked when they see birds. Many of them say that we have a "bird disaster" in our American cities. They consider birds in cities to be something like an infestation.

I've tried to explain to them that it's pretty normal to have birds in cities outside China. When I tell them that the reason they don't have birds is because Mao ordered them exterminated, and rampant pesticide use has killed the rest of the birds, they get angry and tell me this isn't true.

They also think Josef Stalin was a stud.

Levin 03-13-2008 08:23 PM

They're saying the same thing about you.

"SooneyCoug thinks birds are okay in cities. He's so indoctrinated."

MikeWaters 03-13-2008 08:27 PM

the only people left on the planet that celebrate totalitarianism.

SeattleUte 03-13-2008 08:30 PM

LOL!!!!! Great thread.

SoonerCoug 03-13-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 197833)
They're saying the same thing about you.

"SooneyCoug thinks birds are okay in cities. He's so indoctrinated."

People have attempted to indoctrinate me, but I'm perfectly capable of saying negative things about my country and religion.

These particular folks are not capable of criticizing anything in their country unless it was before Mao took control. It's like an entire nation full of Texes that believe in Mao instead of Mormonism.

JohnnyLingo 03-20-2008 01:15 AM

I just finished Wild Swans for a class today. Very interesting look into three generations of Chinese women. Sad how many Chinese viewed Communism and Mao as their savior from oppression, and how bad it turned out.

SoonerCoug 03-20-2008 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 200376)
I just finished Wild Swans for a class today. Very interesting look into three generations of Chinese women. Sad how many Chinese viewed Communism and Mao as their savior from oppression, and how bad it turned out.

Interesting. Thanks!

I take back everything I ever said about you being a primitive computer program on a loop, but I reserve the right to change my mind again.

YOhio 03-20-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

I liked that book. Colly Wolly recommended a bio of Mao written by the same author, which I just finished. She's a good writer.

il Padrino Ute 03-20-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Wild Swans, eh?

Triplet, should I post the video of Bible Dreams or do you want to post it?

JohnnyLingo 03-20-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 200410)
I liked that book. Colly Wolly recommended a bio of Mao written by the same author, which I just finished. She's a good writer.

She is pretty good. The edition of the book I read had a prologue where she describes her first time traveling outside of China. As a student in Britain, she talks about how intoxicating it was to just sit in a park surrounded by grass and flowers, because Mao had outlawed gardens and the like.

Not to sound like Bush or Cheney or the other war-mongering, flag-waving, nation-oppressing Republicans, but I'm glad to be an American. Jung's family history covers oppression by one group after another... Japanese, who were kicked out by the Kuomintong, who were kicked out by the Communists, and Mao further oppressed the people.

To understand the Chinese mentality requires a certain understanding of this fact, I think.