cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Truman and JFK did what, that has (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19718)

BYU71 05-27-2008 07:37 PM

Truman and JFK did what, that has

them mentioned by the press as great Presidents.

I saw a documentary on Harry Truman. I wasn't impressed although the documentary tried to be very kind. It seemed his endearing quality was admitting a lot of other people could do the job better.

JFK, great looking wife and kids and nailed Marilyn Monroe. Anything else?

TripletDaddy 05-27-2008 07:41 PM

Who called them great presidents? Nice job basing your entire argument on something you dont even prove.

BYU71 05-27-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 225514)
Who called them great presidents? Nice job basing your entire argument on something you dont even prove.

You haven't heard the media and historians on media shows refer to the great democratic Presidents like FDR, Truman and Kennedy? If you haven't, you aren't current enough on the subject for me to have a conversation with you or provide the links.

il Padrino Ute 05-27-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 225512)

I saw a documentary on Harry Truman. I wasn't impressed although the documentary tried to be very kind. It seemed his endearing quality was admitting a lot of other people could do the job better.

JFK's assassination boosted his approval ratings.

TripletDaddy 05-27-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 225517)
You haven't heard the media and historians on media shows refer to the great democratic Presidents like FDR, Truman and Kennedy? If you haven't, you aren't current enough on the subject for me to have a conversation with you or provide the links.

I actually do not know if I have seen much reference to Kennedy's "greatness." I have defintely seen many references to HIM, to his family, to his assassination, etc. But honestly, not sure how many times I have seen an assessment of his accomplishments while in office.

History is enamored with Kennedy the man, not necessarily with Kennedy the President. Although he did do some interesting things while in office that have left a decent legacy.

Also, don't under-sell the importance of nailing Marilyn Monroe. Look who our politicians are nailing these days.....Dems are sleeping with ugly interns and Republicans are sleeping with underage congressional pages of the same gender. JFK had some serious game.

creekster 05-27-2008 07:57 PM

Truman pulled the atomic trigger in 1945 and JFK didn't in 1963.

Tex 05-27-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 225514)

I think saying historians laud both Truman and JFK is a fair statement.

TripletDaddy 05-27-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 225544)
I think saying historians laud both Truman and JFK is a fair statement.

Where do you live? The Phoenix area?

SeattleUte 05-27-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 225512)

Truman: NATO, The Marshall Plan, reconstruction of Japan, Israel, the Berlin Airlift, H&N, Communist containment. In sum, the defeat of Communism; Reagan executed his plan.

Is that enough for you? Why don't you try being a little bit curious about history instead of just repeating shibboleths.

As for JFK, he was only president a short time. But he contributed the 1964 Civil Rights Act (it was an immense collaberation between his administration and Congress), successful end to the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Peace Corps, and an ethic of implacable anti-Communism that it took Reagan to restore following Nixon/Kissinger's pacifism and defeatism. Not a bad legacy for a two-year stint I'd say.

TripletDaddy 05-27-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 225552)
Truman: NATO, The Marshall Plan, reconstruction of Japan, Israel, the Berlin Airlift, H&N, Communist containment. In sum, the defeat of Communism; Reagan executed his plan.

Is that enough for you? Why don't you try being a little bit curious about history instead of just repeating shibloeths.

As for JFK, he was only president a short time. But he contributed the 1964 Civil Rights Act (it was an immense collaberation between his administration and Congress), successful end to the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Peace Corps, and an ethic of implacable anti-Communism that it took Reagan to restore following Nixon/Kissinger's pacifism and defeatism. Not a bad legacy for a two-year stint I'd say.

Don't forget his desire to push the USA to the forefront of the space race. We were lagging behind the Soviets. Kennedy had the vision of landing on the moon.