cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   In the midst of this financial mess (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22717)

YOhio 09-21-2008 09:20 PM

In the midst of this financial mess

Would a McCain-Romney ticket be more appealing than the McCain-Palin ticket?

The reality is that neither McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden can credibly inspire economic confidence based on experience or action. We're voting for their advertised plans and their faceless advisers who will craft and implement.

I think this is where Romney would have been appealing. I don't think his private sector experience gives him a huge advantage in practically dealing with the current economic issue, but he would put a credible face on McCain's policy. Somebody who has made and lost big money in the private sector. Instead, we're choosing between one ticket with two lawyers who never really practiced and another with a soldier and a homemaker. Neither ticket seems to inspire much confidence.

SeattleUte 09-21-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 268040)

The reality is that neither McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden can credibly inspire economic confidence based on experience or action. We're voting for their advertised plans and their faceless advisers who will craft and implement.

I think this is where Romney would have been appealing. I don't think his private sector experience gives him a huge advantage in practically dealing with the current economic issue, but he would put a credible face on McCain's policy. Somebody who has made and lost big money in the private sector. Instead, we're choosing between one ticket with two lawyers who never really practiced and another with a soldier and a homemaker. Neither ticket seems to inspire much confidence.

Stop already. Enough.

BarbaraGordon 09-21-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 268040)

Exactly. This is what McCain gave up when he picked up Jane the middleclass everywoman. At the time (following his I-own-half-a-dozen-houses publicity) seemed like a fair trade, but now with everyone so nervous about the economy I still wonder if Romney wouldn't have been a better choice. Based on the numbers, it's looking like the increasing focus on and concern over the economy is hurting McCain. It's not that Romney really *is* some kind of macroeconomic genius...but he doesn't need to be one. There's a perception out there that he's knowledgeable and experienced in the financial arena. And McCain could really use that kind of credibility right now.

il Padrino Ute 09-21-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 268045)
Exactly. This is what McCain gave up when he picked up Jane the middleclass everywoman. At the time (following his I-own-half-a-dozen-houses publicity) seemed like a fair trade, but now with everyone so nervous about the economy I still wonder if Romney wouldn't have been a better choice. Based on the numbers, it's looking like the increasing focus on and concern over the economy is hurting McCain. It's not that Romney really *is* some kind of macroeconomic genius...but he doesn't need to be one. There's a perception out there that he's knowledgeable and experienced in the financial arena. And McCain could really use that kind of credibility right now.

I understand what you're saying, but does McCain really need more credibility when it comes to the economy when the opposing ticket is Obama/Biden?

All four are equally incompetent.

YOhio 09-21-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 268064)
I understand what you're saying, but does McCain really need more credibility when it comes to the economy when the opposing ticket is Obama/Biden?

That's like saying that you don't need a good batter because the hitting sucks on both teams.

ERCougar 09-21-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 268085)
That's like saying that you don't need a good batter because the hitting sucks on both teams.

A good "batter"? What does cooking have to do with baseball?

YOhio 09-21-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 268090)
A good "batter"? What does cooking have to do with baseball?

Go pick on Lebowski.

BarbaraGordon 09-21-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 268064)

That's my point. McCain gave up the opportunity to have the only ticket with any perceived economic credibility.

Further, if you believe the polls, for whatever reason people trust Obama with the economy more than McCain. That's why it seemed all the more important for McCain to go with someone with some economic or financial credentials.

ERCougar 09-22-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 268094)
Go pick on Lebowski.

You're funnier, a better cook, and you 'stache is way sexier. Let me get my licks in where I can.

By the way, I made you ditellini pasta thing a few times. Big hit with the family.

Jeff Lebowski 09-22-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 268115)
You're funnier, a better cook, and you 'stache is way sexier. Let me get my licks in where I can.

By the way, I made you ditellini pasta thing a few times. Big hit with the family.

Sadly, he's right. I can't compete with YOhio's sexiness.