cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   wow.. tough loss for Xavier (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7113)

livecoug 03-17-2007 07:24 PM

wow.. tough loss for Xavier

one free throw to win the game and blew it..

also, that should have been an intentional/flagrant on Oden at the end of the game.. brutal

tooblue 03-17-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livecoug (Post 66130)

also, that should have been an intentional/flagrant on Oden at the end of the game.. brutal

There's still hope.

tooblue 03-17-2007 07:29 PM

guess not.

il Padrino Ute 03-17-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livecoug (Post 66130)

This is why the tournament is such a great thing. Emotions can go from one extreme to another in an instant.

Too bad for Xavier. That would have been a terrific upset. And yes, Oden got away with one.

tooblue 03-17-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 66136)
This is why the tournament is such a great thing. Emotions can go from one extreme to another in an instant.

Too bad for Xavier. That would have been a terrific upset. And yes, Oden got away with one.

At that point in the game it is a hard foul, nothing more. He's a big man and when that much size intentionally goes against someone it's going to look much worse than it is.

Any suggestion otherwise by Xavier or it's fans is sour grapes.

il Padrino Ute 03-17-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 66142)
At that point in the game it is a hard foul, nothing more. He's a big man and when that much size intentionally goes against someone it's going to look much worse than it is.

Any suggestion otherwise by Xavier or it's fans is sour grapes.

I can agree with this - I was making my observation on the fact that Oden just shoeved the guy to the ground with no attempt to slap the ball away from the guy.

Bottom line is if the Xavier player hits both FTs, the game is over. Props to OSU for doing what had to be done to advance.

BarbaraGordon 03-17-2007 09:59 PM

Did I mention I love the tournament? There's nothing like watching a perfectly-arced game-tying three to send a game into overtime.

I was hoping Xavier would pull it out, in spite of the fact that they stole Drew Lavendar from Oklahoma.

il Padrino Ute 03-17-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 66145)
Did I mention I love the tournament? There's nothing like watching a perfectly-arced game-tying three to send a game into overtime.

I was hoping Xavier would pull it out, in spite of the fact that they stole Drew Lavendar from Oklahoma.

Well, Lavendar wasn't any help against Utah in the 2nd round of the '05 tournament, was he? ;)

It was a fun game to watch. The only consolation to my Utes having such a bad year is that there is no emotional investment in the Big Dance.

RockyBalboa 03-18-2007 12:25 AM

It's been my understanding that if a guy isn't making a play on the ball and blatantly hits, shoves, pushes, hacks...etc....that it's a flagrant foul.

SteelBlue 03-18-2007 03:06 AM

There's no way I'd have called a flagrant foul there. Everybody knows they had to foul as quickly as possible once he got that rebound. I don't think he was trying to send him across the floor. It would have been a wussy way to win had they called that. And FWIW, I was rooting for Xavier.