cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Anybody ever use a hydration backpack? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9699)

Runner Coug 07-06-2007 02:30 AM

Anybody ever use a hydration backpack?

I've always used either an Amphipod belt or Fuel Belt when I run, but lately I've really gotten sick of them, and they just can't carry enough liquid for me on the long runs over about 10 miles.

I went to REI tonight to check out the Camelbak's, and ended up with a Novara instead. Really slim and compact, and I don't have to mess with any 6 oz. bottles anymore! I'm stoked!

MikeWaters 07-06-2007 02:32 AM

I use camelbak's all the time.

Mainly when biking. I have 2 liters in there, plus two water bottles, when I go on long rides in the summer.

Also use it on campouts. Put the bladder in my pack, which is nice.

Archaea 07-06-2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 98132)
I've always used either an Amphipod belt or Fuel Belt when I run, but lately I've really gotten sick of them, and they just can't carry enough liquid for me on the long runs over about 10 miles.

I went to REI tonight to check out the Camelbak's, and ended up with a Novara instead. Really slim and compact, and I don't have to mess with any 6 oz. bottles anymore! I'm stoked!

Have you tried the multiple belts with ten ounce, four to six bottles?

That usually does the trick.

Runner Coug 07-06-2007 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 98139)
Have you tried the multiple belts with ten ounce, four to six bottles?

That usually does the trick.

Yeah, my Amphipod has four bottles that are 10 oz., but I just suck the water down during the summer, and it's just not enough. If I get dehydrated, the party's over.

Plus the bottles fall off every once in a while, or the belt comes loose, or gives me stomach cramps...I'm just sick of dealing with them. I should have bought one of these a long time ago.

http://www.shaneb.net/images/novara.jpg

bluegoose 07-06-2007 04:44 PM

Have you ever checked out the Nathan hydration pack? Just this morning I had someone recommend it to me. He's an ultra trail runner who's tried every combination of camelback or waist pack and said this is far superior.

I think this is the one he is talking about:

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesom...404/3789/16535

It is a vest type attachement instead of a belt and is supposedly much more comfortable.

bYuPride 07-07-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 98132)

I have the MULE camelbak and just bought my wife the Velocity camelbak. Mine holds 100 oz.. an I think my wife holds 60? They're nice..

SteelBlue 07-07-2007 06:36 PM

Running with a hydration pack is a totally new concept to me. For those of you who have done it, how does it affect your running speed/comfort? I have a small camelbak for my bike that would work I suppose, but it seems it would be very awkward to run with.

Runner Coug 07-07-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 98372)
Have you ever checked out the Nathan hydration pack? Just this morning I had someone recommend it to me.

Haven't tried it, though I may. I expressed my giddiness over my new pack too soon. I put it on this morning before I went out for my 17-miler, and within 5 minutes my entire back was soaked with Gatorade. The damn thing leaks! I was peeeeissed. So I ended up doing my run with my stinking Fuel Belt again. :mad: The problem with Nathan stuff is that it's impossible to find in stores, and I'm not going to buy anything online, I don't want the hassle of having to mail it back if it doesn't work for me.

Steelblue- there really isn't an option for hydration that won't bug you somehow. The belts can be a pain because they can come undone or the bottles can fall off. And a couple of times I've gotten it too tight, and it cuts down the blood to your legs. Plus it's a pain to break stride to get the bottle back in the strap.

The only experience I've had with ones worn on the back is that they can LEAK!:mad:

bluegoose 07-07-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 98685)
I expressed my giddiness over my new pack too soon. I put it on this morning before I went out for my 17-miler, and within 5 minutes my entire back was soaked with Gatorade. The damn thing leaks!

The only experience I've had with ones worn on the back is that they can LEAK!:mad:

Could you tell where it was leaking from? Top or bottom gasket? Tube outlet? I've had some leaks with mine, buts its usually my fault.

SteelBlue 07-07-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 98685)
I went out for my 17-miler,

My legs hurt just reading this.