cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Do you immunize your kids? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21640)

ERCougar 08-18-2008 04:02 PM

Do you immunize your kids?

(Or would you if you had them?)

Anonymous answers, so I don't have to single anyone out for their irresponsibility towards their children and our herd immunity...

I'm just curious.

Is this a push poll, SU?

TripletDaddy 08-18-2008 04:05 PM

We did.

Arent immunizations required before they start public school?

Why would you not immunize your kids? Are you talking MMR, etc?

ERCougar 08-18-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 253698)
We did.

You're asking the wrong person. I have no idea why you wouldn't immunize your kids, although there's this very questionable Rubella-Autism link that people occasionally cite. Also, people tend to think measles, mumps, polio are extinct and so they don't really need them.

I don't know how people avoid the school requirement, but there's obviously a loophole somewhere.

cougjunkie 08-18-2008 04:50 PM

No I dont want them to get autism.

marsupial 08-18-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 253700)
I don't know how people avoid the school requirement, but there's obviously a loophole somewhere.

A lot of the anti-immunizers out there are also homeschoolers.

FMCoug 08-18-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 253700)

My 3 elementary school kids had to get some additional shots that were required in Utah but not in Texas in order to register for school. I told Mrs. FM she should just say immunizations are against our religion but she didn't go for it.

Gidget 08-19-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 253722)
A lot of the anti-immunizers out there are also homeschoolers.

And we all know how homeschooled kids turn out.

FarrahWaters 08-19-2008 02:44 PM

We vaccinate our kids, but there are a lot of families who selectively, or delay vaccinations for their kids. Besides the possible autism link, they object to a lot of the additives (formaldehyde). They are uncomfortable with such a small baby getting a barage of shots at once, so they delay some of them until older.

The polio vaccine is a whole other can of worms. People say that the only cases of polio contracted now are from the vaccine themselves, that we would easily be able to treat polio in this day and age, that many cases of polio were misdiagnosed in it's day (even President Roosevelt).

Underlying all this, I think there is a movement of general distrust of the professional medical community.

As far as getting out of shots, I think you just send in an exemption form.

ewth8tr 08-19-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 253698)
We did.

People can claim it is against their religious beliefs to get around the requirement for school.

BarbaraGordon 08-19-2008 03:36 PM

Does anybody else think it's really self-centered to not vaccinate your kids. I mean, not vaccinating your kids really only works if you expect that everybody else will vaccinate theirs and thus your kids won't actually be at risk of contracting polio or whatever.

Am I being unreasonable?

I have a friend whose church doesn't believe in vaccination. Last year the congregation experienced a nasty outbreak of whooping cough.