cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do you respond to this situation? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665)

bluegoose 11-16-2005 07:36 PM

How do you respond to this situation?

When talking to "non-cyber" friends and acquaintances and something comes up that has been discussed on this message board, how do you respond to them?

This actually came up twice recently. I was speaking to someone the other day and found myself caught up in this one. It started out "Oh I have this friend...", and then I backpedalled and changed it to "Actually he's more of an acquainance...". Thinking more on it, it then became "Well I know this guy...", until I realized that I only know of one person on this board that I have actually met.

So it has proven to be awkward for me, even if it is only in my head.

Can you call someone your buddy/friend/acquaintance when you only correspond through message boards or boardmail? Just wondering how you guys/girls feel about it?

SteelBlue 11-16-2005 07:59 PM

I once in all seriousness nearly announced to a group of friends that "I know the guy that owns that company" when referring to zephyr hats. That's how demented one can get on these boards.

When speaking to non-board friends about things discussed here, I often find myself saying that I heard "from a friend..." It's the way to escape the embarrasing "how do you know him" question.

mpfunk 11-16-2005 08:01 PM

Since I do not have real friends, I often refer to people on these message boards as friends. I guess it does help that I have met a few of them. I've only met a few from this board, but have met several from utefans.net

FarrahWaters 11-16-2005 08:08 PM

I say acquaintance or friend. Maybe society will come up with a new term for these type of cyber relationships. Its kind of like having a community of pen pals.

Has anyone on this board actually met Mike? (Besides Statman)

Archaea 11-16-2005 08:41 PM

Not yet

he keeps riding with those gorgeous gals from the Dallas area leaving no time to spend with cybersports friends.

I have met Il Padrino, Statman and his charming wife, and a few others.

BTW, when do your ads come out, Mike is concealing the release, fearing you might get too many suitors.

fusnik11 11-16-2005 09:12 PM

i bet you guys have talked about fusnik to your wives....

i can see the conversation now.

you: honey, do you think that lds kids are making out a ton with each other? do you think our daughter will have kissed a lot of boys before she makes it to college?

your wife: why does my servant ask such questions?

you: well this guy i know, he says he makes out with a ton of hot chicks. just wondering if you think its true, says he went on a mission as well and is a current recommend holder.

your wife: why does your fake friend have to do with me? please finish cleaning the garage and stop pretending like you have friends that i havent pre-approved...

Archaea 11-16-2005 09:20 PM

my wife knows not what I do

all she says, "why do you guys sit around complaining how badly BYU is playing, and why not just enjoy the games?"

She'll never understand.

SoCalCoug 11-16-2005 10:01 PM

My wife saw Archaea's avatar the other day. She said, "Now I know why you hang out online all the time."

Archaea 11-16-2005 10:36 PM

Yeah

that avatar is the most action some of us get in a long time.

il Padrino Ute 11-17-2005 12:42 AM

To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare..

"A friend by and other name is a friend."

Or something like that.

I usually refer to folks from the boards as friends, as I see no reason to not consider them friends. As Archaea mentioned, we've met each other and I've met a few others such as mpfunk, but I get the feeling that because our personalities are pretty much online what they are in real life, I know most here who post.