cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   car question (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6950)

Brian 03-08-2007 01:41 PM

car question

last night while driving home from lowes (which involves a pretty good drive up a hill: elevation difference ~1800 ft), i noticed that my engine temp was getting on the high side. It wasn't out of the band, but it was up on the edge.
This morning, I checked the radiator and it was full. However, the one odd thing I have noticed is that within the last 2 weeks or so, the heater sometimes just blows cold air. So when I need heat, I turn it on, then off, what a few minutes and try again for warm. Usually in 5 mins or so I get warm air.
Are the sensors/etc involved in both processes connected? Any ideas?

MikeWaters 03-08-2007 01:43 PM

have you tried calling Car Talk?

Brian 03-08-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 64615)
have you tried calling Car Talk?

is that the click and clack radio show?

MikeWaters 03-08-2007 02:23 PM

yes it is. if you tell them about your leno appearance, I think you are more likely to get on the air.

hyrum 03-08-2007 02:31 PM

thermostat? clog?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 64614)
last night while driving home from lowes (which involves a pretty good drive up a hill: elevation difference ~1800 ft), i noticed that my engine temp was getting on the high side. It wasn't out of the band, but it was up on the edge.
This morning, I checked the radiator and it was full. However, the one odd thing I have noticed is that within the last 2 weeks or so, the heater sometimes just blows cold air. So when I need heat, I turn it on, then off, what a few minutes and try again for warm. Usually in 5 mins or so I get warm air.
Are the sensors/etc involved in both processes connected? Any ideas?

How old is the car and when is the last time you had your radiator flushed? Could be that your thermostat is not working (so the coolant water is circulating just within the engine) or there is a clog in your system due to deposit of scale/gunk/whatever. I once had a car where the engine temp was plenty warm but the heater didn't heat well, turned out the lines had a bunch of gunk accumulated which was resolved by flushing the system -- I went so far as to remove a number of the hoses and clean them separately.

YOhio 03-08-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 64622)
yes it is. if you tell them about your leno appearance, I think you are more likely to get on the air.

Brian, can you upload that Leno appearance on Youtube? I missed it the first time and would like to see it.

Brian 03-08-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 64623)
How old is the car and when is the last time you had your radiator flushed? Could be that your thermostat is not working (so the coolant water is circulating just within the engine) or there is a clog in your system due to deposit of scale/gunk/whatever. I once had a car where the engine temp was plenty warm but the heater didn't heat well, turned out the lines had a bunch of gunk accumulated which was resolved by flushing the system -- I went so far as to remove a number of the hoses and clean them separately.

It's a 99 Nissan Frontier truck. 80K miles. I've never had the radiator flushed.

myboynoah 03-08-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 64623)

I bet this solves it. We had a cold air blowing heater (in a Nissan in fact) and it was the thermostat.

I once had Jetta that would vapor lock and the hot engine light and buzzer would come on. Drove it across the nation that way. It only vapor locked once, outside of Grand Junction. Eventually, a new fuel pump solved the vapor locking, but the hot engine light and buzzer continued to come on. Beating the dashboard was the only solution I found. I was born in Idaho.

Surfah 03-09-2007 05:20 AM

Sounds like your thermostat is sticking to me. I'd start there.

Brian 03-09-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 64807)
Sounds like your thermostat is sticking to me. I'd start there.

is that generally easy to fix?
I'm trying to teach myself how to do basic repair.

i sure wish i would have taken auto mechanics in HS. it would have saved me more money in life than that karate class.