cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   My favorite VP picks are out... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20768)

Cali Coug 07-09-2008 04:27 AM

My favorite VP picks are out...

Mark Warner would have been my top choice, but he said he wouldn't accept a VP position. He will be a great Senator, so it is hard to feel too sad about his decision.

Jim Webb also would have been great. He said he is out. Webb had some controversial statements about women in the past that would have been difficult to get past, but he brought a lot of positive credentials to the table too.

At this point, I think my top choice would be Edwards, followed by Bayh. I don't think Obama will pick a woman (I think it would upset many Dem women if a woman was picked and it wasn't Clinton), so that would rule out Napolitano and Sebelius.

Richardson would be an interesting pick, but I doubt very much that he will be the choice. He has too many odd statement floating around.

Al Gore has been floated, but I don't think he would be interested.

I say 55% Edwards, 40% Bayh, 5% someone else.

YOhio 07-09-2008 04:32 AM

Edwards is a loser. He does absolutely nothing for the ticket. He was an ineffective senator and he has failed twice in a presidential campaign and once as a VP candidate. I fail to see any appeal in John Edwards.

He should go with Ted Strickland or Bayh. Ted Strickland helps Obama in Ohio and the Appalachian areas where he sorely needs help. He's a pretty conservative Dem and would be a nice moderate influence.

il Padrino Ute 07-09-2008 04:33 AM

YOhio makes the best argument for Edwards. If he can stop Obama's assault on the USA, he would be the right choice.

Cali Coug 07-09-2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 239721)
Edwards is a loser. He does absolutely nothing for the ticket. He was an ineffective senator and he has failed twice in a presidential campaign and once as a VP candidate. I fail to see any appeal in John Edwards.

He should go with Ted Strickland or Bayh. Ted Strickland helps Obama in Ohio and the Appalachian areas where he sorely needs help. He's a pretty conservative Dem and would be a nice moderate influence.

Edwards is immensely popular with the segment of the party in the rustbelt that Obama particularly needs help with. I think the overall importance of the VP in getting votes is largely overstated, but Edwards has a ton of name recognition, is quite popular, and is a bright guy. He has lost as a presidential candidate twice, sure. That hasn't stopped people in the past who went on to be good presidents/VPs.

Bayh would also be very good. I would feel ecstatic to have him or Edwards on the ticket.

YOhio 07-09-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 239726)
Edwards is immensely popular with the segment of the party in the rustbelt that Obama particularly needs help with. I think the overall importance of the VP in getting votes is largely overstated, but Edwards has a ton of name recognition, is quite popular, and is a bright guy. He has lost as a presidential candidate twice, sure. That hasn't stopped people in the past who went on to be good presidents/VPs.

Bayh would also be very good. I would feel ecstatic to have him or Edwards on the ticket.

I'll have to step aside in this thread. I cannot discuss John Edwards with any degree of objectivity. He is my least favorite politician in America.

ChinoCoug 07-09-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 239716)
Mark Warner would have been my top choice, but he said he wouldn't accept a VP position. He will be a great Senator, so it is hard to feel too sad about his decision.

Jim Webb also would have been great. He said he is out. Webb had some controversial statements about women in the past that would have been difficult to get past, but he brought a lot of positive credentials to the table too.

At this point, I think my top choice would be Edwards, followed by Bayh. I don't think Obama will pick a woman (I think it would upset many Dem women if a woman was picked and it wasn't Clinton), so that would rule out Napolitano and Sebelius.

Richardson would be an interesting pick, but I doubt very much that he will be the choice. He has too many odd statement floating around.

Al Gore has been floated, but I don't think he would be interested.

I say 55% Edwards, 40% Bayh, 5% someone else.

Oh please, please, not Edwards. I don't think it'd do Obama any good to have a Walmart/trade basher.

Bayh would be sweet; he is very pro-business.

Cali Coug 07-09-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 240016)
Oh please, please, not Edwards. I don't think it'd do Obama any good to have a Walmart/trade basher.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bayh be the pick. He makes sense on a lot of levels.

He was one of Clinton's biggest supporters and was able to get a lot of traction for Clinton where he campaigned. Bringing him in is a bit of an olive branch to Clinton fans (though they are coming around anyways, as expected). He is young, bright, charismatic and would be a great addition to the campaign.

Cali Coug 07-09-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 240016)

Check out these polls with Edwards factored in as VP...

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do...D?diaryId=6836

MikeWaters 07-09-2008 06:45 PM

Obama/Edwards is genius. You capture the liberals, intellectuals, blacks, xenophobes, working whites, and racists all in one ticket.