cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I have a goal... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19412)

Mormon Red Death 05-14-2008 09:32 PM

I have a goal...

To do 10 pull ups by the end of the summer. These pull ups will be real and unaided. Any suggestions? Right now I cannot do one unaided pull up (yes I know that is sad)

TripletDaddy 05-14-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 221198)
To do 10 pull ups by the end of the summer. These pull ups will be real and unaided. Any suggestions? Right now I cannot do one unaided pull up (yes I know that is sad)

Chin Ups or Pull Ups?

By pull-up, you mean palms out, no?

SteelBlue 05-14-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 221198)

Many gyms have a pull up machine on which there is a foot rest that allows you to take away a certain amount of weight anywhere from 5 pounds to 100 pounds. I've used it many times to continue pull-ups when I can no longer do any. I'll do 10 on my own, then 10 with 20 pounds of help then 10 with 50 pounds of help etc... You could do this in reverse, finding the amount of weight that allows you to do a pull up then decreasing that weight each week. My guess is you'd be doing unassisted pull-ups within a couple of weeks.

pelagius 05-14-2008 10:46 PM

You could add rack chins to your workout:

They are easier then chins or pullups.

Also inverted rows are useful:

Although its in the horizontal plane instead of the vertical so the carry over is less direct.

pelagius 05-14-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 221229)
Many gyms have a pull up machine on which there is a foot rest that allows you to take away a certain amount of weight anywhere from 5 pounds to 100 pounds. I've used it many times to continue pull-ups when I can no longer do any. I'll do 10 on my own, then 10 with 20 pounds of help then 10 with 50 pounds of help etc... You could do this in reverse, finding the amount of weight that allows you to do a pull up then decreasing that weight each week. My guess is you'd be doing unassisted pull-ups within a couple of weeks.

You can also do assisted pull-ups with bands:

I like these better than the machines.

creekster 05-14-2008 11:10 PM

Welcome back Pelagius. I see you dedcided to ease back into CG with temproal rather than spirtual issues.

pelagius 05-14-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 221293)
Welcome back Pelagius. I see you dedcided to ease back into CG with temproal rather than spirtual issues.

Ya, I am just going to post youtube clips from now on ...

TripletDaddy 05-14-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 221293)

Pelagius seems to have a nice video collection of beefcakes lifting weights. That's hot.

creekster 05-14-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 221302)
Pelagius seems to have a nice video collection of beefcakes lifting weights. That's hot.

He just wants to Pump {clap} you up!

Mormon Red Death 05-15-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 221222)
Chin Ups or Pull Ups?

By pull-up, you mean palms out, no?

Yes palms out....