cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I want to make a generic sports post (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21977)

MikeWaters 08-29-2008 06:08 PM

I want to make a generic sports post

I wish that I was not this way, but it really irritates me when someone doesn't compete. Doesn't try. Gives a half-hearted effort. Or no effort.

If you try hard, and screw up, that's fine. You're working hard and trying to get better.

But man, if you don't want to compete please don't show up. How did it come to this for you?

Indy Coug 08-29-2008 06:17 PM

In what context? Ward basketball? Bunko?

il Padrino Ute 08-29-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 259183)
I wish that I was not this way, but it really irritates me when someone doesn't compete. Doesn't try. Gives a half-hearted effort. Or no effort.

If you try hard, and screw up, that's fine. You're working hard and trying to get better.

But man, if you don't want to compete please don't show up. How did it come to this for you?

Why wish you weren't that way?

I'm with you. If one is going to play, go all out, all the time. Otherwise, don't play.

Surfah 09-01-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 259266)
Why wish you weren't that way?

I'm with you. If one is going to play, go all out, all the time. Otherwise, don't play.

I agree with this. I'll also only play sports I am good at.

The one caveat to this is if I were an olympic diver who had no shot at a medal I would do the biggest cannonball in the world off the diving board or platform. Nobody will ever remember you for finishing 9th. I bet your dives won't even be televised. But I guaran-damn-tee that you'd be all over the media if you did something like this.

Levin 09-01-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 259831)
But I guaran-damn-tee that you'd be all over the media if you did something like this.

Which, of course, is the whole point of competing in the Olympics.

il Padrino Ute 09-01-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 259831)
I agree with this. I'll also only play sports I am good at.

The one caveat to this is if I were an olympic diver who had no shot at a medal I would do the biggest cannonball in the world off the diving board or platform. Nobody will ever remember you for finishing 9th. I bet your dives won't even be televised. But I guaran-damn-tee that you'd be all over the media if you did something like this.

Now we're talkin'. Be sure to let out some sort of primeval scream as you run off the board or platform too.

MikeWaters 09-01-2008 11:40 PM

For me, "sports I am good at"--usually when I am bad at a sport, everyone else is worse.

Like church volleyball. I'm no volleyball player. But I'm quicker, jump higher, more coordinated, get to more balls, make less mistakes than the other three guys.

I'd love to play on a volleyball team where I am the worst player.

ERCougar 09-02-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 260021)
For me, "sports I am good at"--usually when I am bad at a sport, everyone else is worse.

Like church volleyball. I'm no volleyball player. But I'm quicker, jump higher, more coordinated, get to more balls, make less mistakes than the other three guys.

I'd love to play on a volleyball team where I am the worst player.

Based on your recent assessment of the athleticism required to play volleyball well, I could put together a whole lot of teams where you'd be the worst player.

MikeWaters 09-02-2008 02:44 PM

such a team doesn't exist in my stake.

Volleyball is not popular among the crackers in my stake. Mainly just the hispanics. But most of them aren't tall. Actually it's rare to have a tall cracker either.

MikeWaters 09-02-2008 02:44 PM

such a team doesn't exist in my stake.

Volleyball is not popular among the crackers in my stake. Mainly just the hispanics. But most of them aren't tall. Actually it's rare to have a tall cracker either.