cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I agree with Gman (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23878)

SeattleUte 10-21-2008 08:03 PM

I agree with Gman

BM/Anae should have kept Unga running, even after 17-0. It was a terrible mistake not to. Unga is a man among boys (notice earlier I compared him to Asiat AND Mack), probably the best player in the MWC. 17-0 fifteen seconds into the second quarter is too early to put that guy on the shelf. Let him carry to the team to the end zone in a long drive, even if it eats up most of the second quarter, and all of a sudden it's 17-7 and a whole new game. Bad coaching.

Indy Coug 10-21-2008 10:11 PM

Of course, running more is always the solution when you lose a game. :rolleyes:

1. Our defense wasn't going to stop TCU enough for it to make a difference
2. TCU's defense is too good to run consistently enough against

TheSizzle36 10-21-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 282599)

So we should have thrown the ball more? Especially with double coverage on Pitta and Collie for a good portion of the night?

With Unga and our offensive line, I strongly feel that we should run the ball more. Yes, we have talented players at other skill positions (Reed, Pitta, Collie) but if we can establish a running game early and force teams to bring 8 in the box, that should create one-on-one opportunities and mismatches for those other guys.

SeattleUte 10-21-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 282599)

Have you considered that if BYU ran the ball it would have opened things up for the receivers, and one reason TCU's offense appeared so formidable is they weren't worrying about the run?

I don't understand this reasoning, "TCU beat us at their place 32-7 so TCU must be a lot better than us." BYU could have reversed the score on their own field with a smarter game plan. You see reversals like this all the time with NFL teams who play home and home, have the luxery of a second bite at the apple and opportunity to adjust.

il Padrino Ute 10-21-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 282544)
BM/Anae should have kept Unga running, even after 17-0. It was a terrible mistake not to. Unga is a man among boys (notice earlier I compared him to Asiat AND Mack), probably the best player in the MWC. 17-0 fifteen seconds into the second quarter is too early to put that guy on the shelf. Let him carry to the team to the end zone in a long drive, even if it eats up most of the second quarter, and all of a sudden it's 17-7 and a whole new game. Bad coaching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Have you considered that if BYU ran the ball it would have opened things up for the receivers, and one reason TCU's offense appeared so formidable is they weren't worrying about the run?

I don't understand this reasoning, "TCU beat us at their place 32-7 so TCU must be a lot better than us." BYU could have reversed the score on their own field with a smarter game plan. You see reversals like this all the time with NFL teams who play home and home, have the luxery of a second bite at the apple and opportunity to adjust.

STOP SUCKING UP TO BYU FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's your problem?

creekster 10-21-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 282630)

All those that have never heard about this concept before, please excuse yourslef from the forum immediately.

TripletDaddy 10-21-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 282644)
All those that have never heard about this concept before, please excuse yourslef from the forum immediately.

I am only a football fan. I dont have a grasp on the game itself, so I actually appreciated SeattleUte's commentary.

TheSizzle36 10-21-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 282630)

TCU's defense provides some unfavorable matchups for BYU, and vice versa with TCU's offense throwing in some wrinkles at BYU's defense that they weren't ready for. Things like TCU having an offensive line that was able to give their QB enough time to find receivers open downfield (and a QB capable of hitting an open WR). The WR they put in the backfield had enough speed to beat LBers, and with a look that BYU wasn't ready for, it certainly caught them off guard.

Defensively, TCU was able to put enough pressure on the QB with only 4 guys, something nobody has been able to do all year. On top of that, they have athletes who are good enough to man up with receivers on the outside leaving little to no room for error. With the added pressure Hall saw, he needed the room, and it wasn't there.

It was a great game plan by Patterson, he was able to take advantage of quite a few of BYU's weaknesses that nobody else has been able to capitalize on, at least not consistently, and BYU wasn't sure how to respond. I think BYU is capable of beating TCU, and anybody left on their schedule. They do, however, need to be sharper the next time they play a team of that caliber, or they'll risk losing again. Also, don't be surprised to see more teams attacking with the long-ball against Howard. I wouldn't be shocked to see teams starting to put up more points on BYU as the year progresses. I'd wager more shootouts. Hopefully our offense can get its groove back. And I think it starts with Unga.

SeattleUte 10-21-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 282642)
STOP SUCKING UP TO BYU FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's your problem?

I'm sorry I have to spell it out to you, but all my posts have a subtext of trying to ruin BM's credibility and reputation. Just because. Well, just because I think he's one of those extremely lucky, overrated guys who will ineluctably fall prey to the Peter Principle.

il Padrino Ute 10-21-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 282658)
I'm sorry I have to spell it out to you, but all my posts have a subtext of trying to ruin BM's credibility and reputation. Just because. Well, just because I think he's one of those extremely lucky, overrated guys who will ineluctably fall prey to the Peter Principle.

Cool.