cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best running shoes for a fat guy? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15491)

ThatSportsFan 01-02-2008 09:31 PM

Best running shoes for a fat guy?

Today I'm going to go look for some new running shoes. I have ballooned up to 263 lbs. I liked Asics when I ran cross country and track in high school. I was wondering what is the best running shoes for a fat guy? Or should I go to our local running store and have someone do a few tests and pay a little bit more to get some shoes?

Runner Coug 01-02-2008 10:55 PM

Running shoes are always cheaper than knee surgery, so yes, go to a running specialty store so they can analyze your gait and put you in the right shoe. Generally, the best running stores will carry Asics, Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, and Saucony.

And don't listen to the anti-Nike ninnies that are going to respond to this thread. Nike is a fine running shoe.

hyrum 01-02-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatSportsFan (Post 168995)
Today I'm going to go look for some new running shoes. I have ballooned up to 263 lbs. I liked Asics when I ran cross country and track in high school. I was wondering what is the best running shoes for a fat guy? Or should I go to our local running store and have someone do a few tests and pay a little bit more to get some shoes?

I recall Fat Albert wore high-top Converse.

Jeff Lebowski 01-02-2008 11:00 PM

You should definitely go to a running store. No question about it. They can analyze your foot shape, running style, etc. and find a shoe that is just right for you.

And whatever you do, DON'T BUY NIKE BRAND!!!!

Archaea 01-02-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 169026)
You should definitely go to a running store. No question about it. They can analyze your foot shape, running style, etc. and find a shoe that is just right for you.

And whatever you do, DON'T BUY NIKE BRAND!!!!

Agreed.

Don't BUY NIKE, they are from the Devil. Unless you want sore Achilles tendons, shin splits, bad times and sore feet, you'll avoid Nike's like the plague. Only weirdos wear Nikes.

Unless you like Al Gore, you won't buy Nike.

Asics, Saucony and several others make a great shoe.

Addidas suck, Nikes suck.

Jeff Lebowski 01-02-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 169027)
Agreed.

Don't BUY NIKE, they are from the Devil. Unless you want sore Achilles tendons, shin splits, bad times and sore feet, you'll avoid Nike's like the plague. Only weirdos wear Nikes.

Unless you like Al Gore, you won't buy Nike.

Asics, Saucony and several others make a great shoe.

Addidas suck, Nikes suck.

Last time I went in I couldn't decide between Brooks and Saucony. So I bought them both and I alternate them. Great shoes.

SteelBlue 01-02-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 169027)

I am now on the anti-Nike bandwagon. After months of nagging little injuries wearing Nike Shox, I switched to the Brooks Trance. Amazing what a difference it makes.

Archaea 01-02-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 169028)
Last time I went in I couldn't decide between Brooks and Saucony. So I bought them both and I alternate them. Great shoes.

I like the Brooks Trance 7 for short runs, and the Saucony's for the longer stuff.

Death to Nike.

SteelBlue 01-02-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 169033)
I like the Brooks Trance 7 for short runs, and the Saucony's for the longer stuff.

Death to Nike.

What's short stuff to you?

Archaea 01-02-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 169035)
What's short stuff to you?

A 10K is short stuff. Middle stuff is 8 to 12, and long stuff is 13 or longer. If you're running much shorter than a 10K, you'd better be racing or doing intervals. Otherwise, there's not much purpose to it IMHO.