cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How True do you think the Book of Mormon is? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7971)

All-American 04-27-2007 08:02 PM

How True do you think the Book of Mormon is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 77090)
I guess what I'm curious about is how many people here completely dismiss even the most basic historical outline of the Book of Mormon (exodus from the Old World, scattering from Babel, warring factions that killed off a major portion of the population, the appearance of Christ, etc., regardless of the more detailed items included like 240,000 Nephites killed at Cumorah.

Begs the question. I wonder what the general makeup of CG board members is.

Indy Coug 04-27-2007 08:13 PM

The spiritual doctrine is perfect, the basic historical outline is true, the more detailed historical items' veracity (eg. number of dead at Cumorah) are unknown.

YOhio 04-27-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 77096)
The spiritual doctrine is perfect, the basic historical outline is true, the more detailed historical items' veracity (eg. number of dead at Cumorah) are unknown.

I agree with this statement.

Indy Coug 04-27-2007 08:15 PM

P.S. As far as I can tell, "most correct" does not equate to "flawless" or "errorless".

Archaea 04-27-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 77101)
P.S. As far as I can tell, "most correct" does not equate to "flawless" or "errorless".

And the emphasis of "following its precepts" is where I come down.

The text "could correlate to a plausible series" statement doesn't make logical sense to me. Either is entirely false, or has some truth, but correlating to a plausible series of events? Huh?

All-American 04-27-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 77112)
And the emphasis of "following its precepts" is where I come down.

The text "could correlate to a plausible series" statement doesn't make logical sense to me. Either is entirely false, or has some truth, but correlating to a plausible series of events? Huh?

Meaning, it could have a (possibly coincidental) relationship to actual events. A group of immigrants may have sailed to America, and significant portions of their descendants may have died off in warfare, and that may have led to a highly extrapolated version of the tale we now have in the Book of Mormon.

Black Diamond Bay 04-27-2007 09:13 PM

IMO the historical accounts of the BofM are just as subjective as any other historical record. It relies on the perspective of the author. So I don't see why it would have to be right or wrong, just perhaps different then how someone else may have perceived the events.

SeattleUte 04-27-2007 09:59 PM

This is the goofiest "poll" I've ever seen. What does "true" mean here? True in a metaphysical/allegorical sense, like a parable? True in the sense that the stories really happened once upon a time in a place far away? If the latter, how in the sam hill could anyone know, since there's not a scintilla of evidence there were such thing as Nephites, etc.? I mean, at least with the Old Testament we know there were Egyptians, and can trace what befell the Hebrews/Jews as a people up to today (excluding the "Lost Tribes"). Okay, some of you may have a "testimony," the poll is still silly because it suggests there's some empirical basis, e.g., "the events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias." Does one get a "spiritual witness" of this nature? Somebody's not thinking too clearly here. LOL.

All-American 04-27-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 77141)
This is the goofiest "poll" I've ever seen. What does "true" mean here? True in a metaphysical/allegorical sense, like a parable? True in the sense that the stories really happened once upon a time in a place far away? If the latter, how in the sam hill could anyone know, since there's not a scintilla of evidence there were such thing as Nephites, etc.? I mean, at least with the Old Testament we know there were Egyptians, and can trace what befell the Hebrews/Jews as a people up to today (excluding the "Lost Tribes"). Okay, some of you may have a "testimony," the poll is still silly because it suggests there's some empirical basis, e.g., "the events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias." Does one get a "spiritual witness" of this nature? Somebody's not thinking too clearly here. LOL.

Then mark the last option and move along, instead of being an asswipe.

I'm simply trying to find out how many people on this board think that the the names and characters spoken of in the Book of Mormon correspond to actual historical figures. As ridiculous as you believe such a prospect may be, at least two thirds of the people that responded to the question feel otherwise.

Goatnapper'96 04-27-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 77147)
Then mark the last option and move along, instead of being an asswipe.

I'm simply trying to find out how many people on this board think that the the names and characters spoken of in the Book of Mormon correspond to actual historical figures. As ridiculous as you believe such a prospect may be, at least two thirds of the people that responded to the question feel otherwise.

Personally, I prefer he stay an asswipe. The world needs a few good asswipes and by golly, he is one of my favorites.

Personally, I think I agree with Indy.