cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Plans for Rome Temple (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23336)

All-American 10-06-2008 03:13 AM

Plans for Rome Temple

I managed to find out a little bit about the temple in Rome. Turns out, the plan is to build it out of an existing building within the city itself, much like the New York, Hong Kong, and Vernal temples, though the design of this one will be somewhat more elaborate.

Here is an artist's rendering:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/douglas.n.marsh...ePD%20copy.jpg

ute4ever 10-06-2008 03:20 AM

Yesterday while discussing how expensive land is in Rome, someone stated that President Monson said that the church already owned the tract of land on which they planned to build. I don't remember whether he said (or alluded to) that during the talk, or whether this person was implying to have insider information.

Meanwhile although Rome is the center of the Catholic faith, I doubt that the LDS temple will be the only non-Catholic religious structure there. In a metro area of that size there must be a dozen religions who are already represented. (That's my American life-with-a-First-Amendment assumption talking).

All-American 10-06-2008 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 275215)
Yesterday while discussing how expensive land is in Rome, someone stated that President Monson said that the church already owned the tract of land on which they planned to build. I don't remember whether he said (or alluded to) that during the talk, or whether this person was implying to have insider information.

Meanwhile although Rome is the center of the Catholic faith, I doubt that the LDS temple will be the only non-Catholic religious structure there. In a metro area of that size there must be a dozen religions who are already represented. (That's my American life-with-a-First-Amendment assumption talking).

Well, the property is disputed. A splinter group of the church currently claims ownership. Not helping matters is the fact that the church has left the property pretty much untouched for a significant period of time, which is tantamount to yielding their property rights to others. 2,000 years of apostasy will do that.

MikeWaters 10-06-2008 03:29 AM

it's sad that when a temple is going up in Jackson County, the entire church ignores that and gets turned on about the church going up in Rome.

He that can hear, let him hear.

ute4ever 10-06-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 275219)
it's sad that when a temple is going up in Jackson County, the entire church ignores that and gets turned on about the church going up in Rome.

Well naturally, it's about pride. Take THAT, whore of all the earth!!

Somewhere from the beyond, brm is smiling.

TripletDaddy 10-06-2008 04:08 AM

A Rome temple will be fantastic.

Now Americans can take a break during their Da Vinci Code tours and pop by for a session or two.

exUte 10-06-2008 06:14 AM

Great point........if they would have

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 275219)

called it the Jackson County Temple, that would have gotten noticed.

Cali Coug 10-06-2008 06:57 AM

There have been rumors for years that the church already owned the land in Rome for a temple. I would bet Il Pad knows the site where the temple is rumored to be built. Supposedly, President Hinckley picked it out a while back but the church waited on an announcement until there were enough priesthood holders.

MikeWaters 10-06-2008 12:58 PM

How is the Rome temple going to be staffed?

For heaven's sake, the Washington DC temple has missionaries from other parts of the United States called to be temple workers, because the members there can't/won't staff it.

TheAzzuri 10-06-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 275251)
There have been rumors for years that the church already owned the land in Rome for a temple. I would bet Il Pad knows the site where the temple is rumored to be built. Supposedly, President Hinckley picked it out a while back but the church waited on an announcement until there were enough priesthood holders.

I served there about 10 years ago and these rumors are consistent with what I have been told. I was told by a fairly reliable source that land was purchased for both a temple and a chapel in the late 90's. It won't be in Rome proper, but north of the city on the surrounding hills.

Nonetheless, this is pretty exciting stuff.
________
Cheap cyma airsoft capacity magazine metaltac