cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Took my first ride yesterday (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17941)

Jeff Lebowski 03-21-2008 09:01 PM

Took my first ride yesterday

I am a little out of shape, but it sure was nice to get outdoors and ride. This has been a long, miserable winter.

After reading about the dead bikers recently, and the stats about bike-auto collisions, I was thinking to myself how wonderful it is to live by the Provo Canyon Parkway where I can enjoy the scenery and I don't have to worry about cars. Then I realized how many longboarders I was dodging and I wonder if I am at greater risk or lesser risk. It's amazing how many of them don't ever look up. More amazing is how few of them wear helmets. I don't think I saw a single helmet yesterday.

TripletDaddy 03-21-2008 09:03 PM

That Provo Canyon trail from the dam all the way down to the Riverbottoms/mouth of the canyon is one of the most beautiful stretches I have seen. I have always loved Provo Canyon.

I have biked it, jogged it, walked it, skated it, and even inner-tubed it. Never gets old.

SteelBlue 03-23-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 201189)
I am a little out of shape, but it sure was nice to get outdoors and ride. This has been a long, miserable winter.

After reading about the dead bikers recently, and the stats about bike-auto collisions, I was thinking to myself how wonderful it is to live by the Provo Canyon Parkway where I can enjoy the scenery and I don't have to worry about cars. Then I realized how many longboarders I was dodging and I wonder if I am at greater risk or lesser risk. It's amazing how many of them don't ever look up. More amazing is how few of them wear helmets. I don't think I saw a single helmet yesterday.

My brother broke a guy's arm on that trail years ago. This was back when straight people used to rollerblade. Anyway, my brother was cruising along on a bike on his correct side of the path and all the sudden two bladers appeared holding hands and not seeing him. He said he had no time to stop but did swerve into the opposite lane to hit the guy instead of the girl.

TripletDaddy 03-23-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 201356)
My brother broke a guy's arm on that trail years ago. This was back when straight people used to rollerblade. Anyway, my brother was cruising along on a bike on his correct side of the path and all the sudden two bladers appeared holding hands and not seeing him. He said he had no time to stop but did swerve into the opposite lane to hit the guy instead of the girl.

And they say chivalry is dead.

Jeff Lebowski 03-23-2008 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 201356)

I rode again today. I probably saw 40-50 boarders. Still waiting to see the first helmet of 2008.

Venkman 03-23-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 201191)
That Provo Canyon trail from the dam all the way down to the Riverbottoms/mouth of the canyon is one of the most beautiful stretches I have seen. I have always loved Provo Canyon.

I have biked it, jogged it, walked it, skated it, and even inner-tubed it. Never gets old.

I kayaked the damn thing. Class IV rapids and a novice boater, not a good combo. Still have a scar from when I flipped my boat and hit my face on a rock whilst upside down - front tooth went through lower lip, good times!