cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What happened? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7003)

il Padrino Ute 03-11-2007 01:49 AM

What happened?

Cougs seemed to be in control the 1st half. I had to leave and got back to see the last 20 seconds of the game.

For folks who do this kind of thing, how much does this loss affect BYU's RPI?

cougjunkie 03-11-2007 03:37 AM

RPI finished at 17, which is just fine, UNLV was red hot in the 2nd half, BYU decided not to play defense. Keena had a great game 34 points. We also were only 9-17 from the foul line and had 12 turnovers to UNLVs 5. We tried to let Wyo and TCU back in to both of their games the last two days but they werent good enough to take it. UNLV was. BYU needs to develop that killer instinct, however i am afraid it maybe to late.

SeattleUte 03-11-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 65131)
RPI finished at 17, which is just fine, UNLV was red hot in the 2nd half, BYU decided not to play defense. Keena had a great game 34 points. We also were only 9-17 from the foul line and had 12 turnovers to UNLVs 5. We tried to let Wyo and TCU back in to both of their games the last two days but they werent good enough to take it. UNLV was. BYU needs to develop that killer instinct, however i am afraid it maybe to late.

The biggest problem was you were playing in Vegas. Conference tournaments should be played on neutral courts or the regular season champ's court.

cougjunkie 03-11-2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 65135)
The biggest problem was you were playing in Vegas. Conference tournaments should be played on neutral courts or the regular season champ's court.

True we win at home, and i think we win on a neutral court, but you have to take whats given to you, BYU still had plenty of chances to win this game and other then Keena Young they laid an egg down the stretch.

livecoug 03-11-2007 05:23 AM

amen SU... the tourny in vegas is a HUGE advantage for UNLV.. unfortunately it failed in Denver, so what do do?

Archaea 03-11-2007 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livecoug (Post 65149)
amen SU... the tourny in vegas is a HUGE advantage for UNLV.. unfortunately it failed in Denver, so what do do?

If we learn to take better care of the ball or to shoot free throws, we still have a decent chance to win.

SteelBlue 03-11-2007 06:06 AM

I like the idea of the tournament on the regular season champions home floor. However, it's just not practical. I imagine it takes quite a bit of planning for teams (and fans) to get a tournament ready. In seasons like this year's we didn't know the champion until the last week of games. Pretty tough to throw a tournament together in a one week time frame.

What might be the most fair is that a conference championship earns your city the tournament in the next season. But then what happens if Wyoming or CSU win? Who's going to travel to Laramie for a tournament?

il Padrino Ute 03-11-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 65153)
I like the idea of the tournament on the regular season champions home floor. However, it's just not practical. I imagine it takes quite a bit of planning for teams (and fans) to get a tournament ready. In seasons like this year's we didn't know the champion until the last week of games. Pretty tough to throw a tournament together in a one week time frame.

What might be the most fair is that a conference championship earns your city the tournament in the next season. But then what happens if Wyoming or CSU win? Who's going to travel to Laramie for a tournament?

Well, then the tournament is in Laramie or Ft. Collins. Why punish a team for being in a lousy location if they earn it by winning the regular season?

Bottom line is that conference tournaments suck. They almost always punish the regular season champion. BYU will still get an invite because it proved that it belongs in the Big Dance, but in little conferences, the regular season champ is hosed. Marist was the regular season champion and right now has a record of 26-8, but it won't even get a sniff because it didn't win the MAAC Tournament and now is hosed.

Why even play the regular season if a team has to win the conference tourney to get the auto bid? It would make more sense for all NCAA teams should just schedule 25-30 non conference games the entire season then play their tournaments.